Low Carb Chocolate Lasagna is a great sugar-free chocolate dessert made with a chocolate cookie base, cream cheese layer, chocolate pudding and whipped cream. This large dessert is great for gatherings.
I’ve been looking at pictures of chocolate lasagna and all it’s variations on Pinterest for months now. Some of the pictures are absolutely drool worthy. And although I think it would be pretty hard, although not impossible, to make a dairy-free version, I knew that a low carb, gluten-free version could be easily made.
The original dessert is the epitome of easy; pre-made and instant ingredients create a creamy, chocolaty dessert that doesn’t require the use of an oven or even cause one to break a sweat. It’s so easy, that anyone can make it.
But what’s really in it? 1 package of Oreo cookies, cream cheese, sugar, and Cool Whip. Just for the cookie layer it’s 24 carbs per serving. (That’s 36 cookies at 10.5 carbs each, divided by 16) But, I’m not going to break down the carbs in each layer of this tasty dessert. I just want to think about all of the weird stuff in the cookies, instant pudding and non-dairy whipped topping. Yuck! I shudder.
This homemade, low carb, scratch, version is very similar to the original version of Chocolate Lasagna except that the crust is made from wholesome ingredients, the pudding is made just like grandma used to make, and the whipped topping is real whipped cream.
Here’s what’s in this Low Carb Chocolate Lasagna
- homemade chocolate cookie crust (nuts, cocoa powder, coconut, natural sugar alternative, butter or coconut oil)
- 8 ounces cream cheese and natural sugar alternative
- homemade chocolate pudding using natural ingredients plus natural sugar alternative
- real whipped cream
- grated 90 % dark chocolate
It’s almost the same as in the original recipe, and this low carb and gluten-free version delivers 4 net carbs per serving. And it’s much healthier than the original.
Although this recipe has a few steps, none are very difficult to do. Breaking the steps into a couple days is the way to go and once you have the procedure down it’s easy to make this dessert your own. Here are some ideas.
- add peanut butter to the cream cheese layer or to the chocolate pudding layer
- add mint extract to the cookie crust and the pudding for chocolate mint
- replace the cocoa powder in the crust with vanilla whey protein powder
- make vanilla pastry cream instead of chocolate
- add banana or almond flavoring to the vanilla pastry cream
- sub lemon curd for the pastry cream
- swirl chia seed jam or blueberry sauce into the cream cheese layer
- mix and match any of the above combinations and make it your own!
This recipe makes a whole 13×9 inch pyrex dish of rich, layered sugar-free chocolate dessert goodness. If the recipe is too big, it can be split up between two pans and one frozen. It freezes very nicely.
Low Carb Chocolate Lasagna is 4 net carbs per serving
***NOTE: Baking the bottom layer produces a shortbread-cookie-like texture: not baking, produces a sandier and softer textured bottom layer***
[Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links.]
Low Carb Chocolate Lasagna Sugar-free Dessert (no-bake)
- 1 recipe Low Carb Chocolate Pastry Cream
CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST
LIGHTENED CREAM CHEESE
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar free powdered sugar (Sukrin, Swerve, Lakanto, Besti)
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia glycerite
- 1 1/2 cup whipped cream to be folded in
- 4 squares Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie (grated)
- Make the Chocolate Pudding: Prepare the Low Carb Chocolate Pastry Cream and let it cool before continuing. *This can be made several days before.
- Make the Chocolate Cookie Crust: Grind the unsweetened coconut, 1/2 cup at a time, in a coffee/spice grinder until fine in texture. Put the ground coconut into a medium bowl and add the sweetener, cocoa, and almond flour. Whisk together to combine. Melt the butter or coconut oil and pour over the ingredients. Combine to form a moist crumbly mixture.
- Dump the ingredients into a 13×9 inch glass pyrex baking dish and lay a sheet of waxed paper over the mixture. First with your hands, then with a flat bottomed glass, press the chocolate crust mixture firmly into the dish. Remove the waxed paper and continue with the recipe or *bake in a preheated (350) oven for about 10 minutes and then let cool completely. *This can be made the day before.
- ASSEMBLING THE LOW CARB CHOCOLATE LASAGNA:
- Make the Whipped Cream: Whip the cream with the vanilla and sweeteners until stiff.
- Cream Cheese Layer: Soften the cream cheese in the microwave and then using a hand mixer, whip it with the sweeteners and almond milk until nice and light. Adding 1/2 cup of whipped cream at a time, fold 1 1/2 cups of whipped cream into the cream cheese. Spread evenly over the base and refrigerate.
- Chocolate Pudding Layer: With a hand mixer, whip the cold pudding. Spread over the cream cheese layer.
- Whipped Cream Topping: Carefully, spread the remaining whipped cream over the chocolate pudding layer and refrigerate several hours.
- To finish the dessert, grate chocolate or sift cocoa powder over the top.