Five creamy layers make this low carb Coconut Cream Layered Dessert (or Coconut Cream Delight) almost heavenly. Think, drool-worthy coconut cream pie in bar form!
“I don’t like coconut, Honey, but I’ll have another piece” — My Husband.
I’m really excited about this dessert, not only because it tastes reeeaaaaaly good but because it is made from scratch with wholesome ingredients. It’s a treat you can feel good about making for your family. And it’s really hard to believe that something this incredible is gluten-free AND low carb! I bet your friends won’t be able to tell.
This dessert was originally slated to be made with peanut butter but I to improvise. I’m glad I did! Two weeks ago, I brought to you a luscious Low Carb Chocolate Lasagna layered dessert that got raves on social media. This is a simple variation on that popular dessert that I like just as much!
This low carb coconut cream layered dessert is just as easy to make as the low carb chocolate lasagna and the coconut cream layer is to die for!
So, what are the specific layers?
- almond-coconut crust (no-bake and baked options)
- cream cheese
- coconut cream
- whipped topping
- optional shredded or flaked coconut topping (adds 2 carbs per serving and is already calculated in the nutritional value)
This dessert freezes very nicely, but add the coconut topping after thawing. The recipe can also be cut in half.
If you are a coconut lover I can’t wait for you to try this. Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Coconut Cream Layered Dessert has 6 net carbs per serving
[Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links.]
Low Carb Coconut Cream Layered Dessert
- 1 recipe Vanilla Pastry Cream (but sub canned coconut milk for the liquid and add 1 tsp. of coconut extract along with the vanilla)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 cup low carb sugar powdered (or stevia to taste)
Whipped Cream Topping
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup low carb powdered sugar (or stevia to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional Coconut Topping
- 1 1/4 cup (100 g) unsweetened shredded coconut or unsweetened flaked coconut (this topping adds 2 carbs per serving which is already calculated in the nutritional information)
- Make the Coconut Pudding: Prepare the Low Carb Vanilla Pastry Cream with substitutions and let it cool before continuing. *This can be made several days before.
- Make the Coconut Crust: Grind the unsweetened coconut, 1/2 cup at a time, in a coffee/spice grinder and grind until fine. Put the ground coconut into a medium bowl. Powder the sweetener and add it and the rest of the dry ingredients to the bowl with the coconut. Whisk together to combine. Melt the butter or coconut oil and pour over the ingredients. Combine to form a moist crumbly mixture.
- Dump the ingredients into a 13x9 inch glass pyrex baking dish and lay a sheet of waxed paper over the mixture. First with your hands, then with a flat bottomed glass, press the coconut crust mixture firmly into the dish. Remove the waxed paper and continue with the recipe or *bake in a preheated (350) oven for about 10 - 15 minutes and then let cool completely for a cookie-like crust. *This can be made the day before.
- ASSEMBLING THE DESSERT:
- Make the Whipped Cream: Whip the cream with the vanilla and sweetener until stiff.
- Cream Cheese Layer: Soften the cream cheese in the microwave and then using a hand mixer, whip it with the sweeteners and almond milk (or cream) until nice and light. Adding 1/2 cup of whipped cream at a time, fold 1 1/2 cups of whipped cream into the cream cheese. Spread evenly over the base and refrigerate.
- Coconut Pudding Layer: With a hand mixer, whip the cold pudding. Carefully spread over the cream cheese layer.
- Whipped Cream Topping: Carefully, spread the remaining whipped cream over the coconut pudding layer and refrigerate several hours.
- To finish the dessert, top with unsweetened shredded dessicated coconut or coconut flakes.