These colorful Persimmon Yogurt Parfaits taste as delicious as they look and they’re made from natural, wholesome ingredients.
[NOTE] This recipe was for my children and is not low carb.
I have been receiving a lot of persimmons in my CSA box the last few weeks. I love persimmons – they are lovely, but not something I typically purchase at the grocery store. It’s not because they are exotic or strange, I just don’t buy a lot of fruit unless its for my kids. Well…. I’ve received about 25 Fuyu persimmons in the last several weeks. Luckily my kids enjoy eating them sliced and raw because I don’t have a lot of experience creating recipes around them. In any case I have had to come up with recipes incorporating these beautiful delicate orange fruits before they spoiled. This is one of them.
If you haven’t had a persimmon before, the flavor is hard to describe. They are delicately sweet, delicately flavored and easily dominated by other ingredients. Fuyu persimmons contain a lot of pectin and pureeing them with their skin produces a nice thick, not-quite “jam-like” texture.
Having that ribbon of orange in the middle of the parfaits was really pretty and the perfect way to go. Adding just a touch of honey adds a floral note to the yogurt which compliments the persimmon nicely. I opted to use diced persimmon on the top of the parfaits to add another textural element. Nuts are added for crunch as well as visual appeal. I chose pistachios both because of their color and the way they compliment the honey and yogurt.
The parfaits needed just a bit more punch of color and texture so I added a few pomegranate arils. These persimmon yogurt parfaits were delicious and my kids loved them.
Looking for other ways to use this unique and beautiful fruit? Take a look at the Arugula and Persimmon Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette or the Persimmon Endive Appetizers!
Persimmon Yogurt Parfaits
- 1 1/2 cups of Fage 2% Greek Yogurt
- 2 medium – large Fuyu persimmons small dice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons of roasted salted pistachios, chopped or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils or more to taste
- Chop the nuts. Open and seed the pomegranate. Save the rest of the seeds / arils to garnish almost anything!
- Cut the tops off of the persimmons and discard. Dice the persimmons into small pieces about the size of large peas. Put all but 2-3 tablespoons into a mini processor or blender with 1 teaspoon of honey and puree. Scrape into a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the yogurt and honey together until smooth. I like mine tangy. Add more honey per your taste.
- Assembly: add a 1/4 portion of the yogurt to each of two serving glasses. Add 1/2 of the puree to each of the yogurt portions. Divide the remaining of the yogurt between the two glasses and top each with the diced persimmon, pomegranate seeds, and chopped pistachios.