Tender low carb lemon scones are tart-sweet. Peppered with poppy seeds and drizzled with a light lemon glaze, you’ll feel like you’re enjoying a delicious coffee shop treat.
THIS POST INCLUDES AFFILIATE LINKS TO SHARE THE THINGS I LOVE.
There’s nothing I like more than a tender buttery scone and a hot cup of coffee. Before my low carb journey, going to a coffee shop with friends and indulging in a scone was one of my favorite things. Although delicious, coffee shop scones are not low carb.
Luckily, we can still enjoy tasty treats like scones on our low carb journey. How? By making them ourselves with low carb ingredients like almond flour. This low carb lemon poppy seed scone recipe is tender and sweet with a fraction of the carbs and sugar found in regular scone recipes.
Why I love this low carb scone recipe
First, they’re low carb. Yay! Next, they’re easier to make than traditional scone recipes. No cutting butter into flour here or food processor needed. All you need is a fork, a rubber spatula and a bowl. Last, these almond flour scones are made from keto ingredients that are easy to find.
Lemon and poppy seed is a classic flavor combination but low carb scones are delicious all kinds of ways. Some of my favorites are these better than Starbucks low carb maple walnut scones and these fun low carb chocolate chip scones. It’s so nice to know you can indulge without too much guilt.
Lemon Poppy Seed Scones – So Easy!
This low carb lemon poppy seed scone recipe is so easy to make. Just whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then, whisk the wet ingredients in a second bowl. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a fork or rubber spatula to form a sticky dough.
Line a large sheet pan with parchment and dust it with almond flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Sprinkle the top with low carb sweetener and shape the dough into a rectangle that’s ¾ – 1 inch thick. Pressing lightly on a piece of waxed paper with your hands and using a rubber spatula for the sides, makes it easier.
Sprinkle more sweetener on top to prevent the scones from over-browning and cut into 12 triangles. I move the triangles around on the pan to space them out more evenly. Then bake.
After baking, remove the scones from the oven and let them cool before drizzling with the lemon glaze. It’s best to let the glaze harden before storing the scones in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to a week. They also freeze beautifully. Just thaw in the fridge.
What to put on scones
I like these lemon poppy seed scones as they are but here are some ideas of what to put on scones if you like to add a little more flavor.
● Tasty low carb strawberry jam
● This luscious low carb lemon curd
● Sugar free whipped cream
These toppings add extra flavor and moisture with minimal extra carbs so you can customize this sweet treat to your liking.
Low Carb Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
- 1 tbsp Cream cheese very soft
- 1 tbsp Butter melted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Mix liquid ingredients in a small bowl. With a rubber spatula, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to form a sticky dough.
- Sprinkle about 3 tbsp of almond flour over the parchment lined baking sheet, mostly in the middle area. Scrape the batter onto the middle of the baking sheet. Sprinkle with low carb sugar and top with a piece of waxed paper. Gently roll/pat/shape into a rectangle approximately ¾ inch thick. Sprinkle again with sweetener to prevent over browning.
- Cut into 12 triangles with a big knife (refer to pictures in post). Lift with a narrow spatula and spread out on the pan.
- Bake on the middle rack for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in the refrigerator in an airtight container or freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator for best results. Enjoy at room temperature.
- Makes 12 scones with 2.38 NET CARBS each.