Skipping the starchy pasta and beans and adding rotisserie chicken keeps this Healthy Chicken Minestrone Soup low carb and hearty enough for a main meal.
My kids love soup. It seems like I can never make enough of it. I know that some people think of soup as a Fall and Winter dish because it is hot, but I find it a light and refreshing alternative to cooking a main and two sides. I don’t particularly enjoy cooking sides to accompany my main dishes. So when I can combine a protein with a good helping of veggies in the same dish, I’m all kinds of excited!
Minestrone soup reminds me of Summer — counter-intuitive, I know, but it’s chock-full of Summer vegetables. And this healthy low carb chicken minestrone soup is full of Summer’s bounty, too. If you have been extremely blessed with a prolific garden this Summer, this recipe just may be another way for you to use or share your blessings.
Now, let me share the embarrassing fact that I am of the age of “Eternal Summers”. Yep, early menopause at age 40. Lucky me, huh? Well, it’s a mixed blessing, but I’ll tell ya that for obvious reasons I don’t like to stand in front of a hot stove, or oven, or in a hot kitchen any longer than is absolutely necessary. (The “warming spells” are so frequent and so bad that my husband and I joked that we would name the blog “Hot Flash Kitchen”!)
Thankfully, this recipe only takes a few minutes of standing in front of the heat, and then it does it’s own thing for a while. I don’t know about you, but that’s my kind of recipe. And it tastes so good! My husband gave it an “Mmmm.” and my kids asked for seconds. Okay, my son usually asks for seconds anyway, but my daughter wanted seconds, too! Healthy low carb Chicken Minestrone Soup = kids eating more veggies. That’s a WIN!
Don’t despair upon seeing the longer than average ingredient list. Most of the items may already be in the fridge or in the pantry. I try to break-up my recipes into intuitive steps to hurry things along so you’re not hanging-out in the kitchen all day.
The recipe for this minestrone soup produces 6 hearty helpings but can be easily doubled for a larger batch for the freezer or for help during the busy work week.
If you’d like another great Summer soup recipe, try the Chicken Sausage and Kale Soup.
Healthy Low Carb Chicken Minestrone Soup is 6 net carbs per serving.
Healthy Low Carb Chicken Minestrone Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 oz onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 oz celery, sliced
- 2 oz carrot, rolled or sliced
- 1 tablespoons Garlic and Herb Seasoning Blend
- 4 oz zuchini large dice, (1 medium zucchini)
- 1 cup green beans cut about 3/4" long, (3 oz)
- 3 oz cabbage, cut into strips like coleslaw, (1/4 cabbage)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth (32 oz)
- 14 oz can whole tomatoes (like Cento or San Marzano brand)
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken meat removed and torn into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
- fresh parsley
- Open the can of tomatoes. Chop the vegetables and have them ready to go in the pot group, by group.
- In a large soup pot, heat two tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Add the vegetables in this order, stirring them and covering to cook between each addition: Onions, garlic, celery and carrots, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Zucchini and the seasoning blend, cover and cook for 1 minute. Green beans, cover and cook for another minute. Cabbage and wine, cover, and cook for roughly 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their liquid crushing them with your hands, and add the chicken broth and cover, bringing to a fast simmer. Reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the carcass of the rotisserie chicken and add to the Minestrone. Stir and warm through. Add the remaining olive oil, adjust seasoning and serve.