These easy low carb zucchini fritters (zucchini pancakes) can be baked or fried and are delicious on their own or with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt. Enjoy at breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack.
These are my new favorite thing ever. I could eat them for breakfast or lunch every day. I like these zucchini fritters plain and right-outta-the-pan, topped with cilantro jalapeno ranch dressing, or topped with sour cream and chives. Need to use up some zucchini? Zucchini fritters may be the best thing you have all summer.
Some recipes are just so versatile you can do anything with them. This easy low carb zucchini fritter is one of those recipes. They move through breakfast, to lunch, to dinner effortlessly. They also make a great snack! I bet some of you have never cooked a fritter before. That’s okay. They’re super easy and kids love ’em.
What are zucchini fritters?
Zucchini fritters are pan-fried circular pancakes of batter with crispy outsides and a firm middle. They’re often flavored with onion and topped with sour cream and chives.
How do you make zucchini fritters?
Grate or shred zucchini, toss it with salt in a colander, let it sit and drain, squeeze it dry, mix with eggs, cheese and flour, then drop spoonfuls into a pan and cook until the zucchini fritters are golden brown on both sides and firm in the middle.
By the way, great low carb fritters can be made out of cauliflower and broccoli, too.
How do you serve zucchini fritters?
Do you need ideas about how to serve your zucchini fritters? I have several low carb ideas you’re sure to love.
- Use them for zucchini fritter eggs Benedict like I did!
- hash brown substitute
- top with scrambles eggs
- top with yogurt and snipped chives and eat as is
- serve with egg salad, tuna salad, or chicken salad on top
- put avocado, rotisserie chicken and melt cheese on top
- top with pulled pork or pulled chicken and coleslaw
- stack them with ham, cheese, and tomato for a fun sandwich
- use as a bun for low carb burgers
- top with a juicy filet mignon
- serve as a crispy side instead of potatoes
- top with chili or sloppy Joe filling
- Remoulade Sauce by Epicurious
- yogurt and dill
- roasted jalepeno aioli
[TIPS] Any leftover fritters should be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Extra zucchini fritters can be frozen. To thaw, place them in the refrigerator over night. To reheat zucchini fritters, place them in a non-stick skillet sprayed with oil and heat on both sides until warmed through to re-crisp or heat in a microwave.
Low Carb Zucchini Fritters are 3 net carbs each
[This recipe and post contain affiliate links. Purchasing through a link may result in my earning a small commission at no expense to you.]
Low Carb Zucchini Fritters
- 1 pound zucchini or Summer squash or both (450 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 ounce onion or two medium scallions minced (40 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour (45 grams)
- 1/4 cup oat fiber (15 grams) (or 2 tbsp coconut flour)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (30 grams)
- oil of choice for frying
- Grate the zucchini on a box grater or in a food processor. Put the zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt. Mix the zucchini gently to distribute the salt and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Squeeze the zucchini out with your hands and place into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and scallion to the zucchini and mix together. In a small bowl, add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir together. Add them to the zucchini and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a medium to large pan over medium - high heat. Pour in enough oil to completely cover the bottom surface of the pan. When it looks hot, stick the end of a wooden spoon into the oil and check for bubbles. If the bubbles are moving quickly, then the oil is hot enough.
- Stir the zucchini mixture one more time and dip a 1/4 cup measuring cup into the batter, level off. Dump the batter into the pan and gently push it into a flat pancake shape with the back of a metal spatula/flipper. Cook for three minutes adjusting the heat up or down as needed, then flip, cooking for another three minutes. Add more oil to the pan as needed to prevent sticking.
- Drain the zucchini fritters on a paper towel before serving. Makes 8 with one fritter per serving.