Low carb cauliflower hash browns are easy to make and very versatile – think base, snack or side. They also make the perfect low carb hash browns for ketogenic diets! You’ll love this gluten-free recipe!
[Enjoy this newly updated post.]
I’ve been obsessed with vegetable fritters since I made zucchini fritters last week. I’ve been serving them with everything. Fritters make a fantastic low carb base for eggs, are a tasty little snack in the afternoon and do double duty as a great dinner side. And, they make great low carb hash browns!
There’s no need to cook the cauliflower before making the fritters for this recipe. I’m a busy mom and there are some recipes for which I am willing put in the extra time, but I think cauliflower fritters should be fast and easy.
How to make cauliflower fritters (low carb hash browns):
- Weigh 1 pound of cauliflower florets.
- Grate the cauliflower in a food processor or use a box grater.
- Salt, let sit, and squeeze out the moisture from the cauliflower.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix.
- Fry in a skillet or bake in the oven
I bought a new non-stick ceramic skillet at Target a few weeks ago. Have you seen the Green Pans yet? They are so slippery I have to use baking spray in them instead of oil.
Oil won’t coat the pan because it runs to the other side as the pan is tilted – no matter what I try. You only need a little baking spray to get the job done. Eggs slide right out of the pan and onto my plate. No sticking!
I used my cast iron skillet on the batch in the picture. They browned nicely, but had a tendency to stick until they were well-browned. I used more oil in my skillet than I would need with my new non-stick pan.
Cauliflower Fritter Variations:
- add chopped crispy bacon (4-6 slices)
- onion, scallion, leek, shallot, 3 tablespoons of chives
- lemon pepper, Cajun seasoning, herb seasoning
- Parmesan cheese, Asiago cheese, Romano cheese
All of these variations make a delicious upscale and tasty hash brown side with breakfast or low carb cauliflower hash browns (minus the bacon). Yum!
Low carb cauliflower hash browns are 3 net carbs each
[This recipe and post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through a link may result in my earning a small commission at no expense to you.]
Low Carb Cauliflower Hash Browns
- 1 pound raw cauliflower, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces onion chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- Grate the cauliflower and put it into a colander, sprinkle the salt on top and mix thoroughly with your hands. Let the cauliflower sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onions and place them into a medium bowl. With clean hands, squeeze the water out of the cauliflower and put the cauliflower into the medium bowl with the onions. Add the almond flour, cheese, baking powder and seasoning. Mix thoroughly. Add the three eggs and mix until incorporated.
- Skillet Method: Place a frying pan or skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out the cauliflower fritter batter and place into the hot skillet. Push down gently with a spatula to make a flattened pancake. Cook 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Don't flip the fritter until the bottom is well cooked. (I PREFER THIS METHOD HANDS DOWN.)
- Oven Method: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment. Measure 1/4 cup of batter per fritter and flatten out into a circle. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip and bake for 10-12 minutes more.
- Store in the refrigerator. Re-heat in a dry skillet over medium heat to make crisp again.