Grilled chicken topped with a melange of ripe cherry tomatoes, fresh garlic, chopped fresh mint, olive oil, feta cheese and Kalamata olives —
A fast and easy meal for a busy day, that tastes like a million bucks! This dish is low in calories, low carb, has a dose of healthy fats and is packed with protein. Have a delicious, healthful dinner on the table pronto!
Brian’s Great Greek Grilled Chicken!
Every Spring, I take the kids to visit my parents in Texas. It’s a trip we all look forward to. My kids are great travelers and I don’t have to worry about them misbehaving in the airport or on the plane. And, at 6 and 10, they are old enough to keep themselves entertained on the flight.
It is usually a relaxed trip where I give my mother a break from cooking and they give me a break from my usual home routine. My father is the best and often gets up with the children in the morning to feed them breakfast, while I sleep in until 8 o’clock. My daughter especially loves this because she gets to eat foods we seldom see in our house, like — cereal, high carb gluten-free treats and almost unlimited fruit. No matter how crazy the meal combination, he almost always says yes.
My parents are lucky to have my brother and his family live nearby. We all try to get together a few times during our visit. It usually works out that I cook for everyone one night, he cooks one night and we all go out to dinner another night. My brother does a lot of the dinner preparation in his family. Although his wife is a tremendous cook, he likes to cook the evening meal as a way to relax and unwind from a long day at work.
He put together this simple, flavorful meal for us one year and it has become one of our favorites. He just called it Greek Chicken, but I call it Great Greek Grilled Chicken! It’s good any time of year and the chicken can be cooked on the grill or in a grill pan. I did it on the grill pan for the photos, but I usually cook it out on the grill. My husband, who does not like mint, doesn’t mind it in this dish. Sometimes, I substitute basil or do a combination of both mint and basil.
This Great Greek Grilled Chicken recipe is also fantastic on grilled tuna! Talk about a dish guests rave about!
Looking for another fast and easy, low carb, chicken recipe? Try the Sauteed Chicken With Pomegranate Gastrique.
Brian's Great Greek Grilled Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breast without skin
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 4 ounces feta cheese or more
- 1 clove garlic
- 12 Kalamata olives or more
- 1/2 cup mint sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for the chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Turn oven on to low. Mix the salt and pepper together in a small bowl or pinch pot. Cut the tomatoes and Kalamata olives in half and place into a medium bowl. Mince the garlic and chiffinade the mint (or basil) and add to the bowl with the tomatoes and the olives. Pour 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil over the tomato mixture and mix with a spoon. Add a pinch or two from the salt and pepper mixture and mix again.
- Place a grill pan on the stove and the serving dish for the chicken near by. Slice the chicken breasts in half, lengthwise. Pound with a meat mallet to an even thickness. I like to put the chicken in a plastic bag to do this. Place the pounded chicken breast into a small casserole dish. Repeat with all of the chicken. Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the chicken and distribute it evenly by massaging it all over the chicken breasts with your hands. Wash.
- Heat the grill pan over medium high heat. Season 3-4 chicken cutlets with the salt and pepper mixture and cook on the grill pan approximately 3 minutes per side. Place cooked chicken on the serving platter and keep warm in the oven. Season and cook the remaining chicken. Alternately, cook the chicken cutlets on the grill.
- When the chicken has finished cooking, Crumble the feta cheese and mix it into the tomato and olive mixture. Spoon the tomatoes over the chicken and serve.
- Serve with a green salad, quinoa, orzo, rice or cauliflower rice.