This Italian Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry with Summer Squash & Zucchini promises all of the great tastes of Summer in one great easy dish.
I’m sure summer gardeners are making some version of this chicken and vegetable stir fry all summer long. And I know why — because it’s healthy and tastes great!
It’s always prudent to have a few recipes that help us take advantage of Summer’s bounty. Let’s face it, we all have those Summers where the plants seem to have a mind of their own and before we know it, we have a plethora of squash, eggplant, tomatoes, okra or peppers!
For this recipe, I purchased a family pack of 5 split breast pieces (with bones) from the grocery store and removed the meat from the bone myself, saving a bunch of money. It left me with 5 trimmed breast cutlets, 10 tenders, and bones for soup. I sliced the chicken into strips, the yellow squash, zucchini and tomatoes into chunks, the red bell pepper into strips, and sliced the onions and garlic. Two tablespoons of my favorite Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend helped bump the flavor as well as 1 stick of salted butter. The sauce in this dish was really flavorful and it was the perfect one pot meal.
If you eat rice, this chicken and summer vegetable saute would be great served over rice. And the buttery sauce is great with crusty bread! If your family is low carb like mine, we ate it spooned into a bowl and were super happy with it as is.
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry is 5 net carbs per serving
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry (Great Summer Treat)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken breast
- 12 ounces summer squash, about 3 small-med.
- 12 ounces zucchini, about 3 small-med.
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- 4 ounces onion, sliced
- 10 ounces tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoon Garlic and Herb Seasoning Blend
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stick butter (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 cube bouillon
- Preheat a very large saute pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. While the pan is heating, cut the chicken into strips. Pour one tablespoon of oil over the chicken and mix to distribute the oil. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend over the chicken and mix to evenly distribute the seasoning.
- When pan is hot, brown the chicken in batches, cooking completely and removing the chicken to a serving dish as it's browned..
- While the chicken is browning, chop the summer squash and zucchini into large cubes small enough to be eaten without being cut.
- Slice the garlic. Cut the stem and root ends off of the onion and cut into quarters, then cut the quarters into 2-3 wedges each.
- Slice the bell pepper into strips.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, through the belly, and squeeze the seeds out into the trash. Give them a nice rough chop.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan with the water, wine and bouillon. Stir, scraping-up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and cook the onions about half way through.
- Add the rest of the veggies to the pan, turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Give everything a good stir, put the chicken on top of the vegetables and cover again for 5 more minutes. Add the butter and the remaining 1 tablespoon of Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend and stir to melt the butter and coat the chicken and Summer vegetables.
- The veggies should still have a little crisp left in them; turn off the heat and serve or continue to cook if you like your vegetables softer. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- If you would like the sauce thicker, remove the chicken and vegetables to the serving dish with a slotted spoon and simmer the sauce to the desired thickness and pour over the chicken and vegetables.