Simple wholesome ingredients come together to make something great in this steak salad with Plums and Balsamic Reduction.
I can honestly say that I haven’t had a plum in several years. It isn’t that I don’t like plums, but after cooking low carb recipes for 9 years and limiting my fruit to low carb friends like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, other fruit barely crosses my mind.
But the other day, as I was selecting fruit for my children, I saw some beautiful purple plums and thought, why not?
I believe this is the fourth steak salad I have posted in the last 5 months and I won’t apologize for it. To me there is very little that rivals the flavor of a good steak — it’s completely satisfying. I love the smokey-salty sear on the outside and the firm tender-chew. It’s substantial. It’s real. To me, beef rules!
And plums are very nice – almost seductive in their tart – sweet juicy flavor and their color just knocks-me-down-sideways. Plums paired with a salty-smoky steak, the sweet tangy flavor of a balsamic reduction, and the salty nutty tang of Parmesan cheese became something great – which made me very happy.
And dressing? All the arugula needed was a little extra virgin olive oil and salt.
This Steak Salad with Plums and Balsamic Reduction is 8 net carbs per serving
NY Flank Steak Salad with Plums and Balsamic Reduction (Low Carb)
- 1 pound NY steak 16 oz / 450 g
- 4 ounces plum *** 110 grams
- 10 ounces arugula 10 oz / 280 grams
- 4 ounces shaved Parmesan cheese 110 grams, optional can replace with walnuts for dairy free
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 2 ounces / 60 grams
- 1/4 cup olive oil 2 ounces / 60 grams
- salt and pepper
- Add the balsamic vinegar to a small sauce pan and simmer over medium to medium-low heat until it reduces to about 1 tablespoon. It will be thick and syrupy. Let it cool.
- Grill steak to taste. To see how to grill a steak view this post. Let the steak rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Quarter the plum and then further slice each quarter into three slices.
- Run a vegetable peeler down the length of a piece of Parmesan cheese, making shavings. Weigh four ounces.
- Dress the arugula with the olive oil and divide among 4 plates. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the arugula, dividing it among the four plates - it is just a small amount but has a nice flavor. Add the Parmesan cheese shavings to each salad. Slice the steak and divide evenly among the four salads. Place three slices of plum per each salad and serve.***