This Low Carb Skillet Chicken Parmesan is fast and easy to prepare, and because the magic happens in one pan clean-up is a breeze. You’re welcome!
This recipe for low carb skillet chicken Parmesan promises great Italian flavor with minimal effort!
Chicken Parmesan is on the menu of almost every Italian restaurants I have ever frequented. It's one of those iconic dishes that everyone loves. Since my mother is second generation Italian American, chicken parm was a dish she would make at home for the family.
To make chicken Parmesan, the traditional way, chicken breasts are pounded to an even thickness. Then the chicken is seasoned with salt and pepper. The chicken is dipped into an egg wash and coated in seasoned bread crumbs. Then, the coated chicken breasts are fried in saute pan until the coating is browned and crisp and the chicken is almost cooked through. The chicken is placed on a sheet pan and topped with tomato sauce and cheese and placed in the oven to finish cooking and until the cheese has melted. It's delicious, but takes quite a bit of time to make.
I gave the traditional recipe a good hard look and decided I could simplify it. Even when people’s lives become more busy they still expect great tasting food but in minutes instead of an hour! I’m happy to say that dish of low carb Skillet Chicken Parmesan is on trend – It’s fast and easy and cooked in a cast iron skillet. So, buh-bye, cookie sheet!
If it’s Summertime and you don’t want to use your oven here’s a Quick Skillet Chicken Mozzarella recipe you can cook entirely on your stove top. Because the chicken isn’t breaded, it takes even less time to make. It’s saved me many times when I just needed something fast. Serve with a simple salad and you’re set! For those of you who miss your side of pasta, quickly saute some zoodles (spiralized zucchini) in butter and garlic and top with Parmesan cheese.
As with the recipe I mentioned above, this recipe is just begging for a nice crisp dinner salad, too. If you are on a ketogenic diet and count macros, you can up your fats by adding a nice homemade salad dressing. I like this nice Garlic & Herb Vinaigrette, this Basil Mint Vinaigrette or this great Crumbled Blue Cheese Vinaigrette.
This great Low Carb Skillet Chicken Parmesan is 6 net carbs per serving.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken breasts about 3-4 large breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds (1 oz)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low carb Marinara Sauce (I use Rao's)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 350 and place the rack in the middle position. Place the cast iron skillet over medium heat and let it begin heating.
- Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients for the crumb mixture on a dinner plate. Beat the eggs in a bowl large and shallow enough to accommodate a piece of chicken.
- When the skillet is hot, add the oil and begin...
- Procedure - Crumb: Starting with the largest to smallest chicken breast, pick up a piece of chicken with a fork and place into the egg mixture, coating both sides. Let the excess drip off, then place it on top of the crumb mixture. Flip it over with the fork and with the opposite hand, push the crumb mixture around the sides of the chicken making sure it is completely coated (it will be lightly coated) on all sides. Pick it up with the fork and gently place it into the skillet. Repeat the process for all of the chicken.
- Cook in Skillet: Set the timer for 3 minutes and let the chicken cook undisturbed. Then, starting with the largest chicken breast, flip all of the chicken over. Turn off the heat and top the Chicken Parmesan with any remaining crumb mixture. Then spoon the sauce over each chicken breast.
- Cook in Oven: Place the skillet in the oven, uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove and top the skillet chicken parmesan with the cheeses and place an oiled piece of aluminum foil over the top. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Let rest for several minutes before serving.
Signup for my Newsletter
Subscribe to get our recipies by email.