This low carb Chicken Parmesan tastes like it came from a restaurant. It cooks in a skillet instead of a sheet pan and the low carb breading stays crispy and delicious.
This recipe for low carb chicken Parmesan promises great Italian flavor with minimal effort!
Chicken Parmesan is on the menu of almost every Italian restaurants I have ever frequented. It’s one of those iconic dishes that everyone loves. Since my mother is second generation Italian American, chicken Parm was a dish she would make at home for the family.
How to Make Traditional Chicken Parmesan:
- Pound chicken breast cutlets to even thickness for even cooking and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken cutlets into an egg wash, then coat with seasoned bread crumbs.
- Fry chicken in a hot pan with oil until the coating is browned and crisp, and the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Place the chicken on a sheet pan, top with tomato sauce and cheese and bake in a 350 degree F oven until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese melts.
Traditional Chicken Parmesan is absolutely delicious, but takes quite a bit of time to make. It’s also quite carby! I decided to simplify the recipe a little and lower the carbs.
Low Carb Chicken Parmesan:
Making Chicken Parmesan low carb is easy to do. Since most of the carbs are in the coating and sauce, finding replacements is easy.
LOW CARB BREAD CRUMBS
In the past, I made low carb bread crumb coating for chicken with almond flour or coconut flour. It was simple to do and good enough for me. Later, I added Parmesan cheese to the mix and noticed an improvement in taste and texture.
Nowadays, I use a combination of crushed pork rinds (it has to be a dust without large pieces) and Parmesan cheese seasoned with Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder. The texture when cooked is very much like panko bread crumbs and tastes amazing. It’s crispy and delicious.
Some of you don’t eat pork. That’s okay. I have seen recipes that use whey protein isolate as a coating for chicken – like Mira does in her Keto fried chicken recipe. It has a bit of a crystalline texture if used on its own, but I’m sure that combining it with Parmesan cheese will mitigate some of the texture.
How to Cook Low Carb Chicken Parmesan:
You can cook this low carb chicken Parmesan recipe just like you do a traditional recipe. It can be browned in the pan and then finished on a sheet pan in the oven. I decided to skip the sheet pan and place the whole skillet into the oven, instead. The residual heat from the pan continues to cook the bottom of the chicken, keeping the coating crisp, while the radiant heat of the oven cooks the chicken through.
The result is a crispy, well seasoned coating topped with flavorful Marinara and melty cheese. It’s delicious and tastes just as good as any restaurant chicken Parmesan.
NOTE: If it’s Summertime and you don’t want to use your oven here’s an Easy Caprese Chicken Mozzarella recipe you can cook entirely on your stove top. Because the chicken isn’t breaded, it takes even less time to make. It’s super fast and easy.
This great Low Carb Chicken Parmesan in a skillet is 6 net carbs per serving.
[This post/recipe may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through a link may result in my earning a small consideration at no additional cost to you.]
Low Carb Chicken Parmesan in a Skillet
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken breasts about 3-4 large breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Seasoned Crumb / Breading Mixture
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds (1 oz)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 2 cups low carb Marinara Sauce (I use Rao's)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- Let the chicken rest on the counter for 20-30 minutes before beginning. This takes the chill off and helps it cook more evenly. Then, dry the chicken with paper towels and pound to an even thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and place the rack in the middle position. Place the cast iron skillet over medium heat and let it begin heating.
- Mix the dry ingredients for the crumb mixture on a dinner plate. Beat the eggs in a bowl large and shallow enough to accommodate a piece of chicken.
- When the skillet is hot, add the oil, swirling to coat and begin...
- Starting with the largest to smallest chicken breast, pick up a piece of chicken with a fork and place into the egg mixture, coating both sides. Let the excess drip off, then place it on top of the crumb mixture, evenly coating all sides. Using the fork, gently place the coated cutlet it into the skillet. Repeat the process for all of the chicken.
- Set the timer for 3 minutes and let the chicken cook undisturbed. Then, starting with the largest chicken breast, flip all of the chicken over. Turn off the heat and top the Chicken Parmesan with any remaining crumb mixture. Then spoon the sauce over each chicken breast.
- Place the skillet in the oven, uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Remove and top the skillet chicken parmesan with the cheeses and place an oiled piece of aluminum foil over the top. Return to the oven for 5 more minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Let rest for several minutes before serving.