Flank Steak rubbed with a blend of Indian spices and grilled, then topped with a lemony cilantro pesto including crushed salted pistachios. So good, so easy!
I’ve been on an Indian food kick lately. I really dig the combination of exotic spices — they awaken my mouth and make my taste buds really happy. I also really like steak. I was always excited to have steak for dinner growing-up. I remember standing by my mom as she carved it and snicking a couple of pieces, making sure it was fit for dinner. Steak, even a good flank steak, isn’t my husband’s first choice for dinner — he would much rather have ground beef, but when I saw flank steak on sale the other day I just couldn’t resist. So many things can be done with it.
A flank steak can be marinated and grilled, a flank steak can be butterflied, stuffed and rolled to make pinwheels or even rouladen, or a pocket can be sliced into the side of a flank steak to be stuffed with all kinds of delicious things. I like it all ways, but this Indian spiced flank steak rocked my world this week.
My inspiration for this dish was an Indian beef curry. I lifted the spice ingredients and tweaked them a bit, creating a rub for the flank steak. Cilantro and lemon were included in the curry, too, as well as coconut milk. I chose to use the cilantro and lemon juice in a pesto and decided to substitute pistachios for the richness of the coconut milk. It’s a nice change, and instead of standing in front of a hot stove or turning on the oven in the heat of the Summer, grilling was the perfect option. I confess, I really enjoy taking a recipe and doing something unexpected with it — like I did with this Indian Spiced Flank Steak.
I hope you enjoy it.
Indian Spiced Flank Steak with a Cilantro Pistachio Pesto is 2 net carbs per serving
Indian Spiced Flank Steak with a Cilantro Pistachio Pesto
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Cilantro Pistachio Pesto
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-3 teaspoons erythritol
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted pistachio nuts finely chopped
- Rub both sides of the flank steak with oil.
- Prepare the spice rub and sprinkle half over one side of the flank steak, then rub into the steak with your fingers. Do the same on the other side.
- Preheat the grill, clean and oil the grates.
- Cook the flank steak on high, covered for 1 minute. Lift the lid and cook 4 minutes uncovered. Flip the steak over and again cook covered for 1 minute. Lift the lid and cook for 5 more minutes. Check for done-ness and move the steak to a serving platter. Let rest at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fInely chop the pistachios, measure 1/4 cup and place in a small bowl. Finely chop the cilantro, measure 1/3 cup and add to the pistachios. Add the rest of the pesto ingredients and stir until sweetener dissolves. It should taste sweet and sour and nutty.
- Cut the steak across the grain. Spoon the cilantro pistachio pesto over the steak or serve on the side.