Satisfy those chocolate cravings with these crazy – amazing, low carb, gluten-free, casein-free….. Chocolate Crazed Espresso Cupcakes with Whipped Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache Frosting!
I don’t need to tell you how much I love chocolate – I’ve mentioned it several times. With Valentine’s Day coming up, I felt like I was due for a chocolate fix. I don’t often make big cakes because, as a low carber, the frosting can quickly send me over my carb limit – but cupcakes keep it small and low carb.
I’ve made these cupcakes before in another post, Double Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes with Cranberry Buttercream, and they were so rich, chocolaty & good that I decided to bring them back. Why did I change the name to Chocolate Crazed Espresso Cupcakes? Well, because it is true, look at all of that chocolate and they are as dark as they can possibly be.
Two wonderful cocoa powders I purchase from King Arthur Flour. No, I don’t get any compensation for mentioning them. I order Bensdorp Dutch-Process Cocoa, which is a red colored cocoa that smells exactly like chocolate when the package is opened. And, I order the Black Cocoa, which is smokey in flavor and meant to be mixed with other cocoas. I purchase two of the Bensdorp and one of the Black Cocoas. Then, I mix them together. The two combined produce the most amazingly rich chocolate flavored goods – like these Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes. I used this same cocoa mixture in the Triple Dark Chocolate Berry Seduction, which has been wildly popular.
I feel I should warn you that my desserts are not very sweet. It is my personal preference. If you like things sweeter, add a little more sweetener – it won’t hurt my feelings!
BTW, there will be some chocolate ganache left over. I have taken that into account with the carb counts.
Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes are 5 net carbs each
[This post contains affiliate links.]
Low Carb Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes
- Chocolate Crazed Espresso Cupcakes
- 2 cups Honeyville Almond Flour
- 2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour sift after measuring
- 2 tablespoons Isopure Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder sift after measuring
- 1/2 cup erythritol
- 1 tablespoon erythritol
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso or coffee
- 1 serving Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie 86% Chocolate 4 squares, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon NOW Stevia Glycerite or 1/4 cup more erythritol
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 batch Best Low Carb Coconut Milk Chocolate Ganache
- Make the chocolate ganache the night before and let it sit out on the counter until it cools. Cover with plastic wrap and let it stay on the counter until needed. If your kitchen is hot and the ganache is a little soft, adding the Swerve or powdered erythritol will "chill" it up enough while whipping. If the kitchen is cold and the ganache is hard, it will be hard to pipe onto the cupcakes. Heat it in the microwave 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each interval, until it is soft enough to beat with a mixer.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- To make the Chocolate Crazed Espresso Cupcakes: Measure the dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together to combine and to break up any lumps. Cut the Ghirardelli chocolate into very small pieces and mix into the dry cupcake mix.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a small bowl with a hand mixer.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix completely with the hand mixer. Let the cupcake batter stand for a few minutes before spooning into the cupcake papers. Spoon the batter into the cupcake papers making sure to make a mound it in the middle. This helps the muffin to have a rounded top.
- Put the Chocolate crazed Espresso Cupcakes into the oven and turn the oven up to 400 for seven minutes. After seven minutes, turn the oven back down to 350. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting with the Whipped Ganache.