An easy low carb chicken salad recipe that takes advantage of leftover chicken or turkey. It’s crunchy, sweet-savory, flavorful, and satisfying – perfect for those on a low carb keto diet.
I’m one of those crazy people who doesn’t like turkey for Thanksgiving. I know, it’s an embarrassing confession, but it’s true. This year I cooked two beautiful 10 pound chickens to grace our Thanksgiving table and had quite a bit of chicken left over.
We had enough leftover chicken for another dinner and several lunch salads, but with the rest I made this curried chicken salad. It’s something my family is guaranteed to like weather I serve it for lunch or for dinner.
I love chicken salad. It’s something I make frequently because it is so versatile. I rarely cook chicken expressly for preparing chicken salad because any kind will do – poached, grilled, baked, rotisserie or fried in the pan. However, I prefer to use leftover turkey and chicken and of course rotisserie chicken.
I always add green apple to my low carb chicken salad recipe because I like the sweetness and the crunch it brings, but I have also added jicama or water chestnuts for change or to lower carbs just a bit. I prefer to add a little curry powder to mine because I love the way it tastes with the onion and apple but feel free to leave it out and experiment with your favorite seasoning blends.
I like to put a serving of this chicken salad on a bed of crispy romaine or spoon it into a crunchy bell pepper, but eat it with a creamy avocado and you’ll have a meal that will keep you full for hours and hours.
This easy chicken salad recipe takes no time to put together and gets better if it sits in the fridge over-night. I like mine rustic looking so I keep the pieces a little chunkier, but dicing the ingredients smaller makes it easier to stuff into halved bell peppers or avocados.
This Low Carb Chicken Salad with Curry is 5 net carbs per hearty serving!
NOTE: Substitute jicama for the apple to lower the carbs to 3 net carbs per serving.
An easy low carb chicken salad recipe that takes advantage of leftover chicken or turkey, turning it into something crunchy, sweet-savory, flavorful, and satisfying.
- 8 ounces cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- 1-2 tablespoon minced shallot or green onion
- 4 ounces (1 small) Granny Smith apple or jicama, diced
- 2 ounces walnuts, roughly chopped (or sliced almonds, pistachios or pecans), 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- pinch of pepper or more to taste
- chopped green olives
- diced red bell pepper
- pomegranate seeds
- dried cranberries
- Add all of the chicken salad ingredients to a medium bowl and distribute by stirring gently.
- In a smaller bowl, combing all of the Dressing ingredients and whisk together.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken salad and gently fold and stir until all of the ingredients are coated.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning: If it tastes dull, add a little more lemon juice and a hint more salt. If the curry powder is too faint, add a little more. If you want it to taste a little more savory, try adding a little more pepper.
Substitute jicama for the apple for 3 net carbs per serving.