This Malibu Chicken recipe is an easy weeknight meal of boneless skinless chicken breast, low carb keto breadcrumbs, deli ham, and Swiss cheese.
A few months ago I saw a recipe for Malibu Chicken on my friend Stacey’s blog Beauty and the Foodie. I had never heard of Malibu Chicken before and decided to do a google search. Here is what I found out.
Malibu Chicken is a dish made famous by the Sizzler Steak House and consists of breaded chicken, ham, and cheese baked in the oven.
There are many a copycat recipe for Malibu chicken online and they are all very similar. I even saw a YouTube clip of the original 1970’s television advertisement for Malibu chicken. The announcer described a breaded chicken patty topped with ham and cheese served with a mustard dipping sauce and a steak. Honestly, the dish looks ghastly in the commercial.
One can find the most popular recipe for Malibu chicken on Chef in Training. Nikki states that her mother worked for Sizzler Steak House and shared the recipe with her. I looked at her recipe and thought it sounded wonderful, but I knew I could make it easier and low carb, gluten free, and even keto.
I’ve made this recipe at least 10 times in the past few months and it’s always great. Since the original recipe for Malibu chicken calls for a mustard dipping sauce and a separate sauce in which to marinate the chicken, combining them into one and dividing use is the easiest solution.
And instead of coating the chicken in breadcrumbs, I chose the low carb breadcrumb option of crushed pork rinds and Parmesan cheese. I’ve even eliminated the step of coating the chicken in the low carb seasoned bread crumbs recipe to save time and work.
Some of you may be of the opinion that baked chicken breasts are dry. This recipe for Malibu chicken is moist every time.
I do, however, buy a better quality chicken. It is not organic, but it is free of antibiotics and hormones, and air chilled instead of flash frozen. The breasts are more modest in size and after removing the “tender”, each breast is five to six ounces in weight. I’m of the opinion that 4 chicken breasts is enough for 4-6 people and my family of 4 always has some left over.
This Easy Malibu Chicken Recipe is 4 net carbs per serving.
Easy Malibu Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- salt and pepper
Malibu Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard (or Dijon or a combo)
- 1-2 tablespoon low carb powdered sugar (powdered sugar if not low carb)
- 3/4 cup crushed pork rinds (35 g) (panko crumbs if not low carb)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (60 g)
- 2 teaspoons granulated garilc
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 pieces of deli ham (thin slices) (about 6 oz)
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese (4 oz)
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place rack into the middle position. Finely crush the pork rinds in a food processor or place them in a bag and bash them with a mallet or rolling pin. Ready a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish or a 1/4 size sheet pan for the chicken.
- Method: Put the chicken on a plate and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Mix the mayonnaise, mustard and sweetener in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the mustard mixture to the plate with the chicken, reserving the rest of the mixture as the dipping sauce. Roll the chicken in the mixture with a fork, right there on the plate. (Alternately, the chicken can be placed in a bag or in a bowl and mixed with the mustard mixture and marinated.) The chicken can be cooked right away or marinated for up to 1 day.
- Mix crushed pork rinds, Parmesan cheese and seasonings together. Sprinkle 1/2 of the crumb mixture in the baking dish or sheet pan where the chicken will be placed. Place the chicken on top of the crumbs. Add the other half of the crumb mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Bake: Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the oven and add the ham and cheese on top. Place back into the oven until the cheese has melted. Serve. (Serves 4-6 people)