Low Carb Hamburger Buns
Low carb hamburger buns are fast and easy to make with the fathead dough recipe. Bread-like in texture, they're the perfect low carb keto sandwich roll.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 13 minutes
Total Time 23 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup part skim grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp oat fiber 500 (or protein powder or 1/4 c. more almond flour)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 metal cake plate or pan that you don't care about
Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute more. Scrape the cheese into a food processor with the egg and process until smooth.
Add the dry ingredients and process until a dough forms. It is very sticky! If it's too sticky to handle, let it cool for a few minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 F and place rack into the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Place cheap-o metal pan at the bottom of the oven.
Divide into 5 equal pieces. Lightly oil hands and roll each portion into a ball. Drop onto the parchment paper and gently flatten slightly with your hand, while still retaining a domed shape. (You will have to experiment with how much to flatten because it's hard to explain accurately.)
Place 6 ice cubes in the metal pan at the bottom of the oven. Then place the rolls into the oven. This will help the rolls rise and spread.
Bake for 12 minutes or until the outside has browned. They will still be soft, so let them cool before removing from the baking sheet. Once cool, store in a bag in the refrigerator. Warm slightly to enjoy.
Keep burger buns in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They keep for 7-10 days and also freeze well. Makes 5 small burger buns.*
*These are NOT fluffy buns - they are firm, but great for holding burgers. They are probably only 4-inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick in the center. See pictures!
1. If your rolls flatten out too much, add a little more almond flour (about 2 tablespoons).
2. If your rolls don't flatten enough: Make sure your almond flour is fluffed up and free from lumps, don't pack the almond flour when measuring, the dough spreads but not a lot so press on the dough to flatten it out, if your rolls aren't spreading enough, use a little less almond flour. My rolls were about 4 inches round (10 cm). They are small, but perfect for home burgers.
3. If you dough is too hard (cold) or too dry, the rolls won't rise/spread as much. Place the dough in the microwave for 15-20 seconds - just until warm and then shape.
Low Carb Hamburger Buns
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 25g | Fiber: 3g