White chicken enchiladas smothered in a creamy white sauce made with cream cheese, green chiles, and Monterey jack. Enjoy this crazy easy low carb and insanely delicious recipe.
Have you tried white chicken enchiladas? I grew up eating them. Instead of being sauced with a traditional red enchilada sauce, white chicken enchiladas are baked with a creamy white sauce.
Most white chicken enchilada recipes feature a bechamel sauce or cream sauce made with flour. Since this is a low carb enchilada recipe I offer a white cheese sauce instead.
All recipes for white chicken enchiladas start with seasoned shredded chicken. I use shredded rotisserie chicken or a whole roasted chicken because it is moist and flavorful. Shredded chicken breast (poached chicken) is fine, too, but it’s important to add chicken broth to moisten the meat. I use the accumulated juices from the rotisserie chicken for the most moist and flavorful chicken filling.
Seasoning the filling well with salt and pepper, is crucial and can’t be skipped. Layering flavor makes even the most simple dishes taste delicious so season each step of the way.
My white cheese sauce for these enchiladas is so easy to make. Cream cheese and Monterey Jack are melted in a pan with spices and green chilies. It literally takes about 5 minutes. The white enchilada sauce is added to the pan and over the top of the enchiladas before baking.
I generally use low carb crepes or low carb tortillas when making chicken enchiladas. I tested this recipe with both and it worked beautifully. But, I also tried a newer product called Cut Da Carb Wraps, which I cut in half and wrapped around the filling. I show it in the pictures. All three versions were delish.
The founder of Cut Da Carb Wraps is very nice and graciously sent me two packages. They are great to wrap around sandwich fillings, but I like using them for enchiladas the best! They are not gluten-free so use my crepe recipe for a GF option and also the lowest carb counts!
Because of the white cheese sauce, these white chicken enchiladas are very filling. We topped ours with sour cream and a nice store bought salsa. Serve with a salad dressed with a tangy vinaigrette for a standout meal!
2.5 Net Carbs per each White Chicken Enchilada!
Fabulous White Chicken Enchiladas (low carb)
- 8 low carb crepes (8 low carb tortillas or 4 Cut De Carb Wraps* cut in half)
Chicken Enchilada Filling
- 1 pound shredded rotisserie chicken with juices (4 cups of shredded chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
White Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (8 ounces)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz canned diced green chiles plus 1 can water
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish. Shred the chicken if you haven’t beforehand. If the shredded chicken is cold from the fridge, heat until warm. Then, season liberally with salt and pepper. It should taste really good before you continue.
- Place all of the sauce ingredients into a non-stick pan over medium heat. Melt the ingredients, stirring occasionally, to blend. Let the sauce simmer very gently for several minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn. Adjust seasoning per your taste. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/2- cup sauce in the base of the casserole dish. Place a crepe (tortilla or wrap) on your work surface and add 1/2 cup of shredded chicken. Roll up like a cigar and place seam side down into the casserole dish. Repeat.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the filled enchiladas and bake in the middle of the oven for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve.
- Serving size is 1 white chicken enchilada. Serves 8, at 2 net carbs each.