These keto lettuce wraps are filled with crispy tofu and peanut sauce. They make the perfect flavorsome dinner or appetizer – they’re also vegan and low carb!
Does anyone else get major food cravings for weird things? And by weird, I mean anything that doesn’t start with choc- and end with -late.
Well sometimes I crave savory food, and when that happens, I make tofu lettuce wraps. They’re the perfect quick meal to curb my cravings, whilst being low carb and vegan too!
What is tofu?
Tofu is made by coagulating soy milk and pressing the curds into a block, kind of like making cheese!
Tofu comes in varying textures from silken (very soft) to extra-firm. For this recipe, we are going to use firm tofu as it has the meatiest texture and holds its shape well.
If you’ve never had tofu before, give it a try! It’s a fantastic source of plant-based protein, and is a great way to add variety to a low carb or keto diet.
How to make a quick peanut sauce:
We are going to serve these low carb lettuce wraps with peanut sauce. My easy peanut sauce recipe is made with just 5 ingredients: peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and water. Simply whisk them together and you’re good to go!
Tips & variations:
- To make this recipe gluten-free, sub coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
- Make sure to use peanut butter which is 100% peanuts, so you can avoid added salt and sugar.
- You can also turn this recipe into a salad! Simply serve the crispy tofu on a bed of greens and use the peanut sauce as a dressing.
- To prepare this recipe ahead of time, you can store the crispy tofu, lettuce and peanut sauce separately in the fridge for up to 1 day, then assemble when required.
Thank you Shivani for this delicious keto vegan recipe!
Tofu Lettuce Wraps (vegan)
- 12 oz Firm Tofu
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 thumb-sized piece Fresh Ginger
- 8 leaves Baby Gem Lettuce
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- Prepare the peanut sauce by whisking together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Finely slice the ginger and green onions, reserving some of the green onion for garnish.
- Add 2 tsp sesame oil to a frying pan over medium heat. Saute the ginger and green onion until fragrant.
- Chop the tofu into small cubes and add to the frying pan. Cook for 5 minutes, tossing frequently, until the tofu is golden.
- Add half of the peanut sauce to the tofu and stir to coat.
- Add about 2 tbsp of the tofu mixture to each lettuce leaf. Top with sesame seeds and the reserved green onion. Serve with the remaining peanut sauce. Enjoy!
- Net carbs per serving: 4.8g
- Best served immediately.
- You can prepare this ahead of time, but store all of the elements separately. They will last in the fridge for up to 1 day.