This easy keto tamale pie or Mexican cornbread casserole features seasoned ground beef baked into a Gluten-free “cornbread” base. Serve with your favorite taco toppings for a great meal the whole family will enjoy.
I have a great focaccia recipe on the site that I’ve neglected since posting. I’ve finally experimented with it and have fallen in love with it again. It makes an amazing base for this keto taco pie.
I grew up eating Tamale Pie. Mom added corn, black olives, beans, and veggies to seasoned ground beef then topped it with cornbread batter before baking. And that’s how it got its name, because the cornbread takes place of the masa in tamales.
Mom’s simple, hearty Mexican cornbread casserole was warming and tasty on a cold night. I loved it so much that I knew I needed to make a low carb version!
Keto Tamale Pie or Mexican Cornbread Casserole – YUM!
This low carb recipe is a quick and dirty version of mom’s using homemade taco seasoning and lean ground beef. I use the focaccia recipe for gluten-free “cornbread” base and bake the taco meat on top.
To get a true cornbread taste without corn, I used Amoretti Sweet Corn Extract that found on Amazon. It is pretty pricey, but since it’s very concentrated, it will last for years. It really did taste like cornbread.
To prepare this tamale pie, I first cook the seasoned ground beef. While it cools, I make the “cornbread” base in the food processor and gently spread it into a greased 10-inch cast iron skillet. Spoon the seasoned ground beef on top, add some cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Just cut and serve. Topping with sour cream and salsa really brings all those great Mexican tastes together. We also added cilantro and sliced avocado. It was a great tasting family approved meal.
Keto Tamale Pie (Mexican Cornbread Casserole) is 5 net carbs per serving.
Keto Tamale Pie (Mexican Cornbread Casserole)
Ground Beef Taco Meat
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (divided use)
Ground Beef Taco Meat
- In a cold pan, set over medium heat, break up and cook the ground beef until very fine. Add the taco seasoning, tomato paste, and beef broth, cooking until much of the liquid is absorbed. Taste and adjust seasonings per your liking and allow to cool a little. Mix half of the cheddar cheese into the meat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally butter or oil a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Place the cheeses, eggs, almond flour, baking powder and extract (if using) in a food processor. Process until a thick batter forms.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cast iron skillet and gently spread evenly to the sides of the pan.
- Top the batter with the taco meat and bake for 35-40 minutes. Add the remaining cheddar cheese and return to the oven until melted.
- Let the taco bake cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, cilantro or black olives. Serve with a crisp salad. Serves 8.