Simple wholesome ingredients and a simple recipe result in a spaghetti squash full of garlic and parsley flavor – much like a homemade pesto.
My CSA brought me a beautiful bounty of Fall vegetables this week. Among the carrots, parsley, cilantro, citrus, persimmon, pomegranates and Swiss Chard were two beautiful butternut squash as well as a huge spaghetti squash. I was especially excited about the spaghetti squash because there are so many great recipes for it now-a-days. Gone are the days of pouring pasta sauce over spaghetti squash and calling it low calorie “pasta”. It's nice to have recipes for spaghetti squash that actually enhance or even celebrate it's flavor instead of mask it.
I guess one could argue that by adding garlic and parsley to this spaghetti squash and then Parmesan cheese, I am indeed treating this spaghetti squash like a side of pasta. Yes, that would be true, but the simple flavors of garlic and parsley add a great punch of flavor while the taste of the squash still shines through. The Parmesan cheese adds a subtle salty and nutty flavor which enhances the whole dish. You gotta love great umami flavors, right?
This recipe for spaghetti squash with garlic and parsley is so crazy-easy to prepare. It's lovely and pungent — as if a great homemade pesto was added to the squash. Of course the size of the spaghetti squash one uses will differ (mine was huge), but the serving size is three ounces cooked. Surprisingly to me, spaghetti squash is a little high in carbs.
Usually, I cook mine cut-side-down but because I slathered the halves in garlic-parsley butter they needed to be cooked cut-side-up. The house smelled amazing while they baked. After the squash cooled a bit, I scraped the threads into a bowl, added salt and pepper to taste, then mixed in the cheese. My kids loved it. I served this wonderful squash as an accompaniment to a fantastic Italian-American dinner: Quick Mozzarella Skillet Chicken, sautéed beet greens, and of course this really great spaghetti squash with garlic and parsley.
Spaghetti Squash with Garlic and Parsley is 6 net carbs per serving
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons butter soft
- 2 cloves small garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons minced parsley (a handful of leaves chopped)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- <span></span>Preheat the oven to 375 and position the rack to the middle. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds. Mince the garlic and parsley and place into a small bowl. Add the softened butter and mix together with a fork.
- Rub the butter over the cut sides of the spaghetti squash and in the cavity.
- Bake for 40 - 60 minutes or until the squash pulls away from the sides in strands.
- Cool until you are able to handle and scrape the squash from the skin. Salt and pepper to taste and mix in the Parmesan cheese.
Signup for my Newsletter
Subscribe to get our recipies by email.