Delicious low carb homemade sloppy Joe filling baked over an easy almond flour “cornbread” crust makes a hearty comfort food casserole. Keto and Glutenfree
THIS POST INCLUDES AFFILIATE LINKS TO SHARE THE THINGS I LOVE.
I cook the majority of our meals in a frying pan on the stove. I find it’s one of the fastest ways to get dinner on the table. Although I have a great non-stick ceramic pan, I find myself reaching for my cast iron skillet again and again. I love to use it for casseroles with bread bases like my Mexican Cornbread Casserole. The Mexican casserole has an almond flour “cornbread” base topped with taco meat, cheese, and other yummy things. It’s one of my family’s favorite dinners.
I bought my cast iron skillet at Target, but I have bought other cast iron pans from Amazon. A good cast iron pan can also be found at thrift shops and antique stores. Make sure to scour away any rust with steel wool before seasoning your pan.
Sloppy Joe Casserole Base
This sloppy Joe casserole starts with a mock keto cornbread base, which is made from cheese, eggs, and almond flour. A little sweet corn extract (found on Amazon) gives it an authentic cornbread flavor. The extract is pricy, but it’s lasted over a year since I only use it for cornbread.
If you are allergic to almond flour you may want to try this recipe for coconut flour cornbread I found on Google.
Keto Sloppy Joe Filling
I have an amazing low carb sloppy Joe recipe that I serve on low carb buns for the adults and regular buns for the kiddos. I flavor it with a little tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and other common ingredients. Instead of brown sugar, I use Sukrin Gold which is a natural brown sugar alternative. I love to use this sloppy joe recipe for sloppy Joe stuffed peppers. Talk about a great tasting meal!
To make this sloppy Joe filling for this casserole, cook ground beef. Then, saute with onions, garlic, bell pepper and remaining ingredients until the meat absorbs much of the liquid. Let the filling cool while you make the cornbread base. Spread the base into a cast iron skillet. Mix the sloppy Joe filling with cheddar cheese and gently spoon it over the casserole base. Top with more cheddar cheese and bake.
I love how this recipe cooks in the skillet so no casserole dish is needed. The keto cornbread base becomes golden brown and the flavorful ground beef and sauce absorbs into the base. It’s so good!
Serve the sloppy Joe casserole with a crisp green salad and you’re good to go.
To re-heat, place a serving on a microwaveable place and top with a piece of waxed paper. Microwave at 30 second intervals until hot. To reheat in the oven. Place a serving in a small baking dish, sprinkle with a few drops of water and cover aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until hot.
Cast Iron Sloppy Joe Casserole
Sloppy Joe Casserole Filling
- 1 recipe Homemade Sloppy Joes (or your favorite recipe)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (1/2 mixed into filling later and 1/2 for topping)
Sloppy Joe Filling:
- Make the sloppy Joe filing per directions. Let cool slightly, then stir in half of the cheddar cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally butter or oil a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Place the cheeses, eggs, almond flour, baking powder and extract (if using) in a food processor. Process until a thick batter forms.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cast iron skillet and gently spread evenly to the sides of the pan.
- Top the batter with the sloppy Joe filling and bake for 35-40 minutes. Top with the rest of the cheddar cheese and return to the oven until melted.
- Let the Sloppy Joe Casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a crisp salad. Serves 8 at 7 net carbs each.