Sweet Italian sausage cooked with colorful bell peppers and onions with Marinara sauce is great with eggs, on sandwiches, or as is! A tasty and easy 30 minute skillet meal or an even easier sheet pan meal!
No respectable Italian-American home would be without a version of sausage, peppers and onions. My mom cooked Italian sausage and peppers with sauce and served it on crusty Italian rolls for dinner. It made a hearty sandwich and meal!
Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions
This easy dish of sausage, peppers and onions with sauce can be cooked two ways: in a skillet on the stove or on a sheet pan (rimmed baking sheet) in the oven on a sheet pan. (400 for 40 minutes).
Although Italian sausage is traditional, you can use any kind of flavorful sausage. I’ve used turkey sausage and several varieties of Aidell’s sausage to change things up and sometimes I add mushrooms.
Traditional Skillet Method: To cook in a skillet cook the sliced sausage until browned, remove the sausage, then cook the peppers and onions. I slice the onions and peppers while the sausage cooks. This is my favorite way. (See below on how cut a bell pepper quickly.)
When the peppers and onions have softened, I add the sausage back to the pan then add Rao’s Marinara sauce – it’s the lowest in carbs that I have found and has a wonderful flavor.
Sheet Pan Method: Toss the ingredients with 1 tablespoon of oil and bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes until browned, stirring halfway through. Put into a bowl and add warmed Marinara sauce.
How to Cut A Bell Pepper – The Easy Way
Have you ever wondered the easiest way to cut a bell pepper? You can make quick work of slicing bell peppers with this easy technique.
Stand the bell pepper on the cutting board with the stem end up. Slice the sides off of the pepper from top to bottom, 4 or three sides depending on how many lobes the pepper has. Cut off the bottom. Discard the top which has the seeds and most of the pithy veins attached. You’re done!
Now, slice the peppers the long way or short way depending on the recipe. I cut the short way for Chinese stir fry and the long way for this Italian sausage and peppers recipe.
This tasty Sausage, Peppers and Onions with Sauce is net 6.5 carbs per serving.
Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions with Sauce
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 9 oz mixed color bell pepper, sliced into strips (about 2 large peppers)
- 2 oz sliced onion (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Rao's Marinara Sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Traditional Skillet Method
- Grill sausages and slice into rounds. Alternately, slice sausages and cook in a large skillet over medium heat with 1 1/2 tsp oil, to brown (about 8-10 minutes). Remove sausage from the pan.
- While the sausage is cooking, slice the peppers and onion. Mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil over medium heat until it is hot. Swirl to coat the pan. Saute the vegetables with the garlic until softened (about 10 minutes). Add the sausage and any accumulated juices back to the pan to re-heat. Add the Marinara sauce and stir to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve.
Sheet Pan Method
- Slice the sausage into rounds. Slice the peppers and onions. Mince the garlic.
- Toss the ingredients with 1 tablespoon of oil and bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes until browned, stirring halfway through. Put into a bowl and add warmed Marinara sauce. Divide and serve.