Cauliflower Broccoli Rice Salad – Riced Broccoli and Riced Cauliflower unite with toasted walnuts and a simple oil and vinegar dressing. A great low carb side dish.
Friday is the big day – the last day of school for my children. They are so excited, even though I’ll have a list of daily chores they’ll need to complete before playing video games or watching t.v. Having a list saved my sanity last year. It kept the kids busy and gave me time to work. This year they’ll be responsible for making their own breakfast and lunch while I’ll continue to serve healthy entrees with low carb sides for dinner.
Cauliflower Broccoli Rice Salad – A perfect low carb side!
Speaking of healthy low carb sides, I’m loving this cauliflower broccoli rice salad. It differs from the typical raw broccoli salad or Amish cauliflower salad because it’s dressed in an oil and vinegar dressing instead of mayonnaise. Also, the cauliflower and broccoli florets are riced. It’s a great low carb rice substitute to accompany grilled, pan seared, or roasted entrees.
Many years ago, we followed a low fat low calorie diet. I always mixed our rice half-and-half with chopped broccoli to add more veggies to our evening meal. It was a great way to lower carbs and is a great idea for those who are thinking about beginning a low carb diet.
The recipe starts with equal weights of cauliflower and broccoli which I rice in a food processor fitted with a chopping blade. I process them separately starting with the cauliflower. I pulse the cauliflower florets until they resemble rice grains, then scrape them into a bowl with a silicone spatula. Next, I process the broccoli and mix the two together.
Adding toasted walnut pieces to the cauliflower broccoli rice adds some crunch. A little onion provides a boost of flavor. A simple oil and vinegar dressing lubricates the salad. Add salt to taste and lots of black pepper – this savory side needs it.
This Cauliflower Broccoli Rice Salad serves 4 at 3 net carbs per generous serving.
[Post and recipe may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through a link may result in my earning a small commission at no cost to you.]
Cauliflower Broccoli Rice Salad
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the walnut pieces on a cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes until fragrant and toasted. Remove the walnuts to a tea towel to cool. When cool, rub together gently but vigorously in the towel to remove the bitter skins.
- Meanwhile, mince the onions. Chop the parsley. Pour the oil and vinegar together in a small bowl and add the onions to mellow.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until they resemble rice grains. Scrape with a silicone spatula into a serving bowl.
- Microwave instructions: Place the broccoli florets in a food processor and pulse until they resemble rice grains. Scrape with a silicone spatula into a microwaveable serving bowl with the riced cauliflower. Stir to thoroughly blend the riced broccoli and cauliflower. Cover the bowl with cling film and microwave for 3 – 3 1/3 minutes. Remove cling film and stir.
- Pan instructions: Place a medium pan over medium heat. When hot, add enough oil to swirl and coat the bottom of the pan. Add the broccoli mixture and stir. Let cook for 30 seconds and stir again. Let cook for another 30 – 60 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add the chopped parsley and walnuts to the riced broccoli and mix. Add the oil and vinegar, stir to thoroughly coat the ingredients and taste. Adjust to your liking. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Serves 4