This crispy oven recipe for Tangy Ranch Chicken Wings is as easy as it is delicious. After trying one, your friends and family will gobble them up!
The quest for crispy baked chicken wings is real my friends. To me, there’s nothing worse than a soggy wings. I’m happy to say that these wings are crispy and delicious without a lot of work. And because the ranch seasoning is homemade, these ranch chicken wings are great for low carb and keto diets!
Crispy Oven Wings!
The secret to crisp baked chicken wings is proper preparation and a secret ingredient. There are several recipes that use this particular method, but they taste salty and weird. With a little playing around I achieved crispy wings that tasted great.
Like other similar recipes, after cutting the wings into tips, wings, and drumettes, dry the wings completely with paper towels. Make sure to save the wing tips for chicken stock, I pop them in freezer.
Toss the wings in a bowl with a little olive oil, coating them completely – I used my hands. Next, sprinkle one teaspoon of BAKING POWDER over the wings and toss. Add another teaspoon of baking powder and toss again.
Placing the wings on a rack fitted into a rimmed sheet pan promotes circulation. Baking at 375 F seemed to be the perfect temperature for my oven. I baked for 40 minutes, turning them after 20 minutes. Broiling for a further 10 minutes provided the color and crisp I wanted.
NOTE: The wings are not as crispy as fried wings, but they are more crispy than baking them conventionally. If you want crispy as fried wings, try Nagi’s crispy oven baked chicken wings. Careful not to dry them out!
Tangy Ranch Chicken Wings
To jazz up the wings, give them a quick spray with olive oil and toss with my Homemade Ranch Seasoning. While testing this recipe I tossed the wings in store bought ranch seasoning before baking. Each time the cooking process destroyed the ranch flavor leaving the wings salty and bland.
Next, I tried baking the wings first and tossing them with ranch seasoning after. They tasted tangy and good, but were horribly salty. I also wasn’t very cool with the ingredients in packaged ranch seasoning so I made my own.
My favorite version of these Tangy Ranch Chicken Wings was a result of baking the wings as outlined above and tossing with my homemade ranch seasoning after baking. They were SUPER! I hope you enjoy them, too.
Tangy Ranch Chicken Wings (Crispy Oven Wings!)
- Preheat oven to 375 F with rack in middle position.
- Dry chicken wings completely, with paper towels and put into a large bowl.
- Mix chicken wings with 2 teaspoons olive oil until coated – I use my hands. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of baking powder and mix. Repeat.
- Place chicken wings on a wire rack, skin-side-up, over a large sheet pan. Bake for 40 minutes turning the chicken over half way through.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and turn skin-side-up again. Place under the broiler for 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and crispy on top and juicy underneath.
- Remove the chicken to a large bowl and spray lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of ranch seasoning over the chicken and stir to coat. Repeat but add 1/4 teaspoon of salt with the seasoning. Serve.
- Serves 4 people with 5-6 wing pieces each. NET CARBS: 0.60 g per serving.