Crispy oven roasted garlic Parmesan green beans make great green bean fries for a fun appetizer or a delicious side. Low carb and keto, they’re a fun way to get kids to eat their vegetables!
We’re big fans of green beans. While we generally steam them or saute them in a pan with other yummy things, roasting them in the oven transforms them. Try this quick and easy winter cooking method. You won’t be sorry!
You can typically find us at Habit Burger on my husband’s day off. They have great lettuce wrapped burgers and fantastic salads. When our kids come-with, we order the Tempura Green Beans. At a whopping 34 carbs per 5 ounce serving, I can only have one. But, they are tasty!
I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the time to batter green beans and fry them a few at a time so they don’t clump together. And, I don’t buy prepackaged “just bake in the oven” appetizers or meals. Have you seen the crazy ingredients in some of them?
I prefer to make easier versions of my favorites at home with more wholesome ingredients.
The ingredient list for these crispy Parmesan green beans is short and sweet: beans, Parmesan cheese, garlic, egg white, salt & pepper.
The Parmesan cheese contributes saltiness and texture while the garlic adds a hit if pungent flavor. Roasting any vegetable in the oven brings out amazing flavor while providing a little hands-off time. It’s a no-brainer.
How to Make Parmesan Green Beans
Start by choosing nice looking fresh green beans. After washing and drying, cut off the stem end and place the beans in a large bowl. It’s important to dry the beans carefully so that the cheese sticks.
Mince the garlic and mix it into the Parmesan cheese along with the salt. Whisk the egg white until light and frothy.
Mix the beans with the egg white, then toss gently with the Parmesan cheese mixture. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes (425 F) or until the beans are crisp tender and the cheese begins to brown.
We’ve enjoyed these crispy Parmesan green beans both as a dinner side and as an appetizer. We love having them with sugar-free sweet mustard dressing. They’re as tasty as any green bean fries you can order out – and a lot healthier, too!
By the way…. I love lots of green bean recipes on the site. Look for some ideas after the recipe.
Oven Fried Parmesan Green Beans
Parmesan Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans, stem end trimmed (dry completely with paper towels)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (Kraft in the can is fine)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large egg white (whisked until very frothy)
- 1/4 tsp salt
Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (4 tbsp)
- 1 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp sweetener of choice (I used Sukrin Melis, powdered sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or regular)
- 1/4 tsp dried dill, rubbed (or tarragon)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F and place rack to middle position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, and 1/4 tsp salt in a small bowl.
- Place the green beans into a large bowl and toss with the egg white until completely coated. Add the cheese mixture and toss to coat.
- Spread the green beans onto the parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle any remaining cheese over top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the beans are cooked through and the cheese had browned.
- While the beans cook, mix the ingredients for the Sweet Mustard Sauce.