This tasty mushroom quiche has a luxurious custard texture and stand out flavor from sauteed mushrooms, shallots, chives and smoked Gouda cheese. Ditching the crust keeps it easy and low carb. If you want to impress your girlfriends serve them this quiche.
If you’ve followed my low carb blog for any length of time, you know I have a lot of REALLY GOOD low carb quiche recipes (look below for the list). There’s a reason for it. Not only do I love a good quiche, but it’s one of my go-to recipe solutions for a busy week night.
What you may not know is that I have quite a few keto mushroom recipes, too. Mushrooms are meaty in texture and develop a rich amazing flavor when sauteed and browned in butter. They add incredible depth of flavor in many traditional dishes and serve as a great meat substitute in vegetarian dishes.
Low Carb Crustless Mushrooms Quiche
This easy low carb crustless quiche is full of mushrooms, sauteed onions, and smoked gouda cheese. Layering the ingredients in the dish prevents them from sinking to the bottom, ensuring an even distribution of ingredients throughout the custard. The salty-buttery smoked gouda cheese provides enough richness that you won’t miss the crust.
While we all agree that quiche with a flaky crust is a beautiful thing (check out this flaky low carb pie crust recipe), sometimes easy wins out – and easy means crustless! Nixing the crust keeps this mushroom quiche easy, low carb AND lower in calories.
Last Minute Customizations
For additional flavor, saute the onions with a sprig of thyme or a little white wine. This produces a subtle flavor that won’t overpower the delicate custard. Adding a touch grated nutmeg lends a sweet-spicy flavor which plays nicely with the mushrooms. Lastly, the addition of Dijon mustard (1 tsp) adds a little sharpness to cut the richness of flavor.
This Easy Low Carb Mushroom Quiche is 5 net carbs per serving.
Low Carb Mushroom Quiche (Crustless)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (white or brown)
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shallot or onion, minced
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 ounces smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preparation: Preheat oven to 375 and place rack to the middle position. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with baking spray. Mince the shallot or onion. Snip the chives. Grate the cheese.
- Method: Heat a saute pan over medium heat and when hot, add 2 tbsp butter and the sliced mushrooms. Stir to coat the mushrooms. Saute for two minutes, then stir and saute 1-2 minutes more or until some of the moisture has been removed. Transfer to a small plate to cool.
- Place the saute pan back onto medium heat and when hot, add 1 tbsp butter and the onions. Stir to coat the onions and saute until softened. Remove from heat.
- Add the eggs, heavy cream, water, salt and pepper to a medium bowl. Beat at high speed until combined and frothy.
- Layer: Add 1/3 of the cheese to the bottom of the pie dish, spreading it so that it is even. Arrange 1/2 of the onions, 1/2 of the mushrooms and 1/2 of the chives evenly over the cheese. Add another layer of cheese, followed by the rest of the onions, mushrooms and chives. Slowly pour the custard over the ingredients. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake: Bake for 15 minutes at 375, then for 15 minutes at 350 or until the top is browned and the middle is just set. It may puff up a bit. Let cool to room temperature before serving or cover (after cooling) and refrigerate until needed.Serves: 6 at 4.5g NET CARBS each slice.
- NOTE: If you have a convection oven or a hotter oven, you may need to adjust cooking temperature and time.