A silky-smooth low carb sugar free cream cheese frosting recipe that’s perfect for carrot cakes, red velvet cakes, layer cakes, and cupcakes.
Cream cheese frosting was one of my favorites growing up – especially on my mother’s carrot cake. She made one every year for Easter and slathered it in tangy-sweet cream cheese frosting. It was so good that I often ate just the frosting and left the cake behind.
Now that I’m grown with my own children, I continue mom’s Easter tradition and make my family a low carb carrot cake with a sugar free cream cheese frosting (and sometime carrot cupcakes). In fact this frosting is so fast and easy to make, it’s my go-to recipe for decorating all kinds of cupcakes and even layer cakes.
Some people don’t care for cream cheese frosting. They don’t like the tang. My sugar free cream cheese frosting recipe tames the tanginess by whipping the cream cheese with butter, resulting in a silky-smooth texture. Whipping the ingredients produces a fluffy cream cheese frosting much nicer than the original my mother made, which was a little runny and overly sweet.
If you are new to low carb you may be wondering how to make cream cheese frosting without sugar. It’s easy. I use a natural low carb sugar alternative like an erythritol/stevia blend in place of the sugar. I like Sukrin Icing Sugar but Swerve Confectioners is another popular brand.
Because erythritol isn’t digested or absorbed in the body, this sugar free frosting recipe shouldn’t impact blood sugar. I would consider it safe for diabetics and weight loss. However, this is a treat and as I tell my children, “treats are sometimes foods”. (Read more about low carb sugar free sweeteners.)
Beware: it’s common to see recipes for sugar free cream cheese frosting sweetened with honey or maple syrup. Although these recipes are refined sugar free they contain a lot of sugars and carbohydrates and therefore ore not suitable for diabetics or weight-loss. Stick to the low carb sugar alternatives I mentioned above or use your favorite.
This recipe for Low Carb Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting serves 12, at 1 net carb per serving.
Low Carb Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cool but soft (1 1/2 packages)
- 4 ounces salted butter, softened (8 tbsp or 1 stick)
- 1/2 cup low carb powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- stevia glycerite or stevia drops to taste
- In a medium bowl, beat the cool cream cheese until smooth. I use a hand mixer.
- Add the sweetener and beat until lightened in texture. Beat in the vanilla until completely incorporated.
- Add the butter, beating again until the mixture is whipped together and nice and light. Adjust sweetness with more powdered sweetener or stevia to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Beat until light and fluffy before using. Makes approximately 2 cups or enough to generously frost 12 cupcakes.