This easy Low Carb Strawberry Mousse delivers the fresh taste of strawberries any time of year with freeze-dried strawberries. There’s no cooking or gelatin in this vegetarian and ketogenic recipe.
Just because it isn’t strawberry season yet doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the fresh taste of strawberries and cream with this delicious low carb strawberry mousse.
The easy to make recipe uses freeze dried strawberries to deliver a true strawberry flavor without the extra water found in fresh strawberries. Eliminating the extra moisture means no cooking and no gelatin which equates to less steps and more flavor!
I have also used freeze dried berries in frosting like in this recipe for Double Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes with Cranberry Buttercream I published way back in my beginning blogging days. I use them again in this recipe for Macadamia Berry Blast Granola which is a family favorite.
I really love the flavor of this mousse. It’s not cloyingly sweet, but rather tangy-sweet from thick Greek yogurt and the strawberries.
The procedure couldn’t be easier: powder the strawberries and mix them with sweetener into the yogurt, fold in whipped cream, then whipped egg whites. Yes, I said egg whites. They are raw. They are pasteurized. They should be safe. I have no problem feeding my family raw pasteurized eggs, which also make their appearance in the very popular low carb French Silk Pie.
For a nice variation on this fabulous dessert, try freeze-dried raspberries. I get mine at Trader Joe’s for about $4 a bag and use the whole bag in this recipe. You can also find freeze-dried raspberries freeze-dried strawberries on-line.
Other GREAT Low Carb STRAWBERRY DESSERTS:
- Strawberries And Cream Chocolate Torte
- Strawberry Almond Shortcake – new photo coming soon
- Strawberry Buttermilk Ice cream
[Note: I used Greek yogurt in this recipe. But if you’d rather you can follow this recipe to make your own low carb yogurt.}
This wonderful low carb strawberry mousse is 6 net carbs per serving.
Low Carb Strawberry Mousse
- 1 cup Fage Yogurt 2 %
- 1/2 cup Sukrin Icing Sugar or your favorite powdered low carb sweetener
- 1 1/4 ounces (25 g) freeze-dried strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia glycerite (or more sweetener to taste)1
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped stiffly
- 2 tablespoons Sukrin Melis (or your favorite powdered low carb sweetener)
- 2 large pasteurized egg whites, whipped to stiff peaks
- Powder the freeze-dried strawberries in a coffee grinder, in batches and put them into a medium to large size bowl. Add the sweetener, lemon juice, vanilla, stevia glycerite and yogurt and set aside.
- In a small squeaky-clean bowl, whip the egg whites until glossy and stiff. Set aside. There is no need to clean off the beaters.
- In another small bowl, whip the heavy cream and sweetener until stiff.
- Now, whip the contents in the yogurt bowl until the sweetener dissolves. Add 1/3 of the whipped cream and blend on low speed. Put the hand mixer aside.
- Add half of the remaining whipped cream into the yogurt-strawberry mixture and gently fold until incorporated. Add the rest of the whipped cream and fold.
- Again working in thirds, gently fold the whipped egg whites into the low carb strawberry mousse.
- Refrigerate for a firmer texture or serve immediately for a softer texture.