This easy keto low carb Mexican chicken casserole is sure to please the whole family. And, it’s a great way to repurpose leftover poultry and cauliflower rice.
THANK YOU LISA FROM LOW CARB YUM FOR THIS GREAT GUEST POST!
I’m a huge fan of casseroles because they are simple to put together and you don’t have to keep an eye on them while they bake. They also make a warm and comforting dinner at the end of a long day.
Another thing I love is keto friendly Mexican food. So, I decided to use Kim’s homemade enchilada sauce to make an easy casserole recipe. It didn’t take long to make the sauce for this low carb Mexican chicken casserole and can be made ahead.
The recipe is so easy. You just have to dump all the ingredients into a pan and let the liquid reduce.
I did find the sauce to be a little bitter from the ground chiles, but a few drops of stevia were a quick fix. Kim uses an erythritol/stevia blend sweetener in the enchilada sauce, but I prefer using a blend of stevia and monk fruit for the sweetener.
My casseroles tend to be very cheesy like my cabbage lasagna and pizza casserole. Cheese adds great flavor and it’s the perfect way to top off a baked dish.
The great thing about this low carb Mexican chicken casserole is that you can make it with leftovers. Extra cooked turkey or chicken, enchilada sauce, and or cauliflower rice can be used in the dish.
Pre-cooked cauliflower rice is used for the casserole base. It’s then topped with shredded chicken (or turkey) mixed with homemade enchilada sauce and topped with a blend of cheese.
I used a Mexican blend of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, and Asadero cheese. Pepper Jack and Manchego would work well too. Feel free to change up the cheese to suit your taste.
If you are a meal planner, this low carb Mexican chicken casserole is something you’ll want to put at the end of the week to use up leftover cauliflower rice and chicken from an earlier meal.
And, it’s a good idea to make a double batch of the enchilada sauce. That way, you’ll have enough to make chicken enchiladas and a casserole.
I also like to have extra sauce to pour over each casserole serving. Sour cream, diced tomatoes, and cubed avocado are great optional toppings too!
This Low Carb Mexican Casserole is 6 net carbs per serving.
[This recipe and post contain affiliate links. Purchasing through a link may result in my earning a small consideration.]
Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 6 cups cooked cauliflower rice (670 g)
- 2 cups finely shredded Mexican Blend Cheese (My blend was Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero cheese)
- 1 large egg
- 4 oz diced green chiles
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce
- extra enchilada sauce
- sour cream
- diced tomateos
- diced avocado
- fresh cinaltro
- Prepare the enchilada sauce if it hasn't been made in advance. While it is reducing.....Preheat oven to 400°F and grease casserole pan (I used a 7.5x11-inch) with coconut oil or spray. Shred the chicken and have the remaining ingredients ready.
- In large bowl, combine cauliflower rice, 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese, egg, green chiles, cumin and salt.
- Press cauliflower rice mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges have browned.
- In medium bowl, combine the shredded meat and enchilada sauce. Spread over baked cauliflower rice mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese on top.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Cool slightly before serving. Top with optional toppings as desired. Serves 8.