These low carb ham and cheese pockets make a fun snack or meal. The dough is so much like bread, you won't believe it! They're also gluten-free!
I'm not going to do a long post about these incredible low carb ham and cheese pockets because I want to get the recipe out to you STAT!
I've been playing with the Fathead Pizza Dough recipe and thought I would make my children a little treat. Although I have never had a hot pocket before I imagine they taste very much like these do – which is pretty great! I almost have a true bread-like/pastry consistency nailed with this hot pocket dough and plan to do great things with it.
Let me talk about the procedure for this recipe for just a minute. I totally thought I had messed-up and was a little upset when I put these into the oven. They actually turned out really great, as you can see from the pictures. The reason I was upset is because the ham and cheese pockets were completely perfect the first time I made them. I made three big ham pockets and cut them into 6 pieces after baking. This time around I pre-cut and stuffed 8 homemade pockets.
The problem? Not only is the dough a little delicate, but I was not able to seal the pockets together because of the ham and cheese filling. Frustrated, I patched what I could, folded the dough over the filling and baked them. I didn't even try to seal the dough. What a surprise to see how perfect they turned out! Disaster to dreamy!
I think you are going to love this recipe! Just remember that because of the cheese, they are full of calories and super filling. I would enjoy 1 as a snack or two with a salad as a meal.
Don't forget to check back for other great recipes using this dough!
These Low Carb Ham and Cheese Pockets are 3 net carbs per pocket!
[This post and recipe contain affiliate links.]
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese, grated (5 oz)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, broken into chunks
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups almond flour (4 oz)
- 3 tablespoons whey protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces deli ham
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400F and place the rack in the middle.
- Put the grated Monterey Jack into a medium microwaveable bowl. Place the pieces of cream cheese on top and microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Remove and stir until creamy and smooth.
- Crack the egg into another medium sized bowl and beat. Add the melted cheese to the egg and stir to combine. Add the almond flour, protein powder and baking soda. Mix with a rubber spatula until thoroughly combined. Let the dough cool for a few minutes.
- Cut two sheets of parchment big enough to cover the entire bottom of a large sheet pan. Spray them with baking spray and roll the hot pocket dough between the two. I flip it over once or twice and re position the paper, keeping the dough in the middle. Roll out the dough until it is almost as big as the parchment paper. Lift the top piece of parchment off and patch the corners to get an even rectangle. It doesn't have to be perfect.
- With a large sharp knife, cut the dough down the length, cutting it in half. Then cut the dough along the width: once in the middle, then once on either side to make 8 smaller rectangles.
- Place one slice of cheese towards the bottom of each rectangle (on the shorter side) and scrunch up a piece of ham on top. Do this for all 8 rectangles.
- Carefully fold the top of each rectangle over the filling until it approximately meets the bottom of the rectangle.
- Bake for 20 minute or until the low carb ham and cheese pocket is golden brown.
Signup for my Newsletter
Subscribe to get our recipies by email.