Packed with spinach and kale, this low carb green omelette is perfect for a healthy and easy brunch or lunch. A blend of tasty cheeses makes it especially delicious.
[I’d like to sincerely thank Katrin from Low Carb Londoner for contributing this wonderful content for me while I was in the in the hospital with family. Katrin develops deliciously easy low carb recipes in her home kitchen in London.]
I love eggs. My whole family loves eggs. We eat them boiled, fried, poached, scrambled – mostly for breakfast, sometimes for lunch. And yes, if eggs have not made an appearance by 6 pm, we might well have a dinner involving an egg or two as well. I now have 4 dozens on repeat order from the supermarket each week because we always used to run out.
Eggs are a great choice if you’re eating low carb, and there are countless delicious ways you can prepare them. You can never go wrong with slowly scrambled eggs (mix in half a teaspoon of mustard before, or a spoon of chopped herbs such as parsley) that are so moreishly creamy. Another purist’s dream is a perfectly fried egg in browned butter, with crispy edges and a soft yolk. This is lick-the-plate territory, when no one is looking.
Some of my favourite egg recipes include Zucchini Fritter Eggs Benedict with Prosciutto & Tomato and the wonderful Poached Egg & Roasted Vegetable Masala from Low Carb Maven. The latter is the best example how versatile the humble egg is – it works perfectly with Indian flavours and spices. Another benefit is that many egg recipes can easily be prepared in advance. I like to make this English Breakfast Frittata and a big batch of these Chorizo Egg Muffins, which we can quickly heat up in the morning.
This time I wanted to try something different. Something colourful. I decided I needed a low carb GREEN OMELETTE. It might have something to do with the fact that it’s January (peak vegetable time, after the cookie fest that is the Christmas period), or because here in London it’s been constantly grey and rainy.
This low carb green omelette is a great way to get some veggie goodness in you. Cheddar and Parmesan add delicious cheesy saltiness and the dish is rounded off by a creamy ricotta and feta filling. I topped the omelette with some crispy kale chips that I had prepared earlier (optional, I put the recipe in the notes). It’s easiest to use frozen spinach for this recipe as you can squeeze out all the liquid before adding it to the eggs. Enjoy!
Each Hearty Low Carb Green Omelette is 8 Net Carbs
Low Carb Green Omelette
- 6 large eggs
- 1 handful chopped kale, stems discarded
- 7 oz (200 g) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp milk (almond milk or heavy cream)
- 1/4 cup (30 g) sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup (30 g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (120 g) ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (30 g) mild feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs, like parsley or chives
- 2 tsp oil for frying
- Make sure all liquid is squeezed out of the spinach. You should end up with a small handful.
- Chop the kale and the spinach finely – use a food processor for this if you have one.
- Add the eggs, milk, cheddar and Parmesan and mix until well combined.
- Mix the feta, ricotta and chopped fresh herbs in another bowl and season with pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a non-stick pan and pour in half of the egg mixture. Fry on a medium heat until just set.
- Add half the feta and ricotta mixture on top and gently fold the omelette over. Place a lid on the pan ad cook for another minute until the filling is warmed.Grate some extra Parmesan on top and decorate with crispy kale chips, if using. Keep warm and fry the second omelette.