Creamy low carb beef stroganoff made with ground beef, mushrooms and onions, in a tasty sour cream sauce flavored with brandy, herbs, and spice. Serve over low carb keto noodles or cauliflower rice.
Beef stroganoff is a comfort food favorite for cooler evenings or chilly winter nights. Although strips of steak are traditional in stroganoff, this easier and faster hamburger stroganoff recipe promises great flavor with just a few tweaks.
The mark of a good stroganoff is flavor. It’s a dish which builds flavor in the pan as each ingredient is cooked. This type of cooking takes a little time – not a lot of time, but more time than today’s typical cooks who are often rushed for time.
Making beef stroganoff with ground beef, or hamburger stroganoff, is a lifesaver for those who need to get dinner on the table fast! There is no need to trim and cut the steak, just put the ground beef in the pan and cook.
If your family is anything like mine, then your kids love ground beef.
My kids proclaim anything made with hamburger their “favorite” dinner. So I make sure to have cooked ground beef in the freezer to turn into quick weeknight meals like skillet chili, sloppy Joes or this low carb beef stroganoff.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff With Ground Beef
- Brown and remove mushrooms.
- Sauté onions then add ground beef and cook.
- Add brandy, beef base, the mushrooms and simmer gently.
- Stir in the cream cheese, and sour cream.
- Sprinkle with parsley and a hint of lemon zest.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or cabbage noodles.
So, how is this particular beef stroganoff recipe low carb? There is no flour or starch to thicken the sauce. Instead, I use less liquid and bump the flavor with a little beef base. It’s a great trick.
NOTE: To get great tasting thick sauces without adding flour or starch, use less liquid and bump the flavor with chicken base, beef base, a little wine, vermouth, dry sherry or brandy. Also, make sure to build flavor in the pan when you can.
Low Carb Beef Stroganoff (ground beef stroganoff)
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped or sliced (1 ounce)
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp beef base (I like Better than Bouillon)
- 2 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese. softened
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- 1-2 pinches grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Serve Over: (Cabbage Noodles or Cauliflower Rice)
- 12 oz cabbage, cut into thin strips then fried in a pan until tender (8.3 g net carbs per serving with the cabbage)
- 12 oz cauliflower rice (raw weight), fried in a pan or steamed (7.87 g net carbs per serving with the cauliflower rice)
- Gather ingredients. Cook cabbage or cauliflower rice and keep warm. Slice mushrooms and onions.
- Heat a medium-large pan over medium heat until hot. Add 2 tbsp butter and swirl to coat. Add the mushrooms and spread evenly in the pan. Leave to cook for 2 minutes (or until browned) then turn them over, cooking for another 1 1/2.
- Push the mushrooms to the sides of the pan and add the remaining tbsp of butter to the middle of the pan with the onions and saute until softened. Remove the mushrooms and onions from the pan.
- Cook the ground beef in the pan, breaking it up into small pieces, until just cooked through. Add the brandy, beef base, and Worcestershire sauce, stirring well.
- Scrape the mushroom mixture (and any accumulated liquid) back into the pan with the ground beef, sprinkle the nutmeg over the top and let some of the liquid simmer off. Add the cream cheese, stirring to melt. Stir in the sour cream and simmer gently until thickened. Stir in the parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked cabbage noodles or cooked cauliflower rice. Serves 4.
- The beef stroganoff is 4.6 g net carbs per serving on its own. Served over cabbage noodles it's 8.3 g net carbs. Served over cauliflower rice it's 7.87 g net carbs.
- If you have a higher carb tolerance, this low carb stroganoff is delicious over cooked spaghetti squash.