Low Carb Bagel Dogs or pretzel dogs are easy to make with the Fathead pizza crust recipe. Just wrap, roll, and bake. The perfect low carb or keto lunch, snack, or meal.
Bagel dogs. Who ever thought you would be so good? Hot dogs wrapped in low carb Fathead pizza crust dough and baked in the oven until golden brown. Why have I not made you before? I saw the original recipe for everything bagel dogs on The Primitive Palate about 2 years ago. Honestly, I looked at them and said, “Meh.” I’m just not a big hot dog person.
I’d never heard of a bagel dog until moving to California 20 years ago and discovering Einstein Bros. Bagels. As a freelance Sign Language Interpreter, I found myself working all over San Diego County during the course of a day. I often had to find a quick bite to eat before my next assignment and bagels were my favorite snack. I admit that I turned my nose up at the concept of bagel dogs at Einstein Bros. Bagel. Crazy, I know!
A few weeks ago my kids wanted hot dogs for dinner and were upset when I said that I didn’t have buns for their dogs. Instead of running to the store I whipped up a recipe of low carb fathead pizza dough in 3 minutes flat. Then, I divided it into 8 pieces, rolled each piece into a snake, wrapped a snake around each hot dog, then rolled them on the counter to smooth out the dough. In the oven they went until golden brown.
If you haven’t tried the original low carb Fathead pizza dough, I highly recommend it. It’s made from regular ingredients and is fast and easy to make. I tweaked the recipe to get a truer bread consistency from the dough. I add a little more cream cheese and some protein powder. My dough is sticker, but I feel better. It was perfect for these low carb bagel dogs.
I originally spent a lot of time testing the low carb pizza dough with various ingredients to get what I thought was the best tasting and textured dough. The whey protein powder was the best version followed by oat fiber, coconut flour and last, additional almond flour. I feel that this is the best version and I love it.
Each Low Carb Bagel Dogs or pretzel dogs is 4 net carbs each!
[This post and recipe contain affiliate links.]
Low Carb Bagel Dogs or Pretzel Dogs
- 1 large egg beaten with 2 teaspoons of water
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Place rack to the middle position of the oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Remove the hot dogs from their package and place them on a paper towel. Dry them off. Beat the extra egg with water for the egg wash.
- Add the mozzarella cheese to a medium microwaveable bowl. Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and add to the mozzarella cheese. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on high power. Stir. If the cheese hasn't melted, cook for an additional 20-30 seconds more.
- Put the cheese in a food processor and add the egg. Process until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and process into a very sticky dough. PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 F. Scrape the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, wrap, and place into the freezer while the oven preheats.
- Keep hands lightly oiled. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll each into a ball. Working with one ball of dough at a time, roll into a snake about a foot long. Starting about 3/4 of an inch from the end of a hot dog, start winding the snake around the length of the hot dog. Place the wrapped hot dog on the work surface and roll back and forth until the dough is smooth. I had about 1/2 inch of the hot dog poking out on each side. Place on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Repeat 7 more times.
- Dip a pastry brush into the egg wash and brush the surface of each bagel dog - don't forget the sides. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to add a nice looking texture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until browned. My dogs plumped up and split the dough on a few of my hot dogs. They were still delicious!
- Makes 8 bagel dogs with each having 3.74 net carbs depending on what kind of hotdogs you use. Mine had 1 net carb each.