Take dinner from blah to WOW and pour this velvety keto alfredo sauce over noodles, chicken or vegetables for a meal the family will love. A little cream cheese and an egg yolk make a stable sauce perfect for your favorite Italian recipes and casseroles. This much-copied recipe is the ultimate Parmesan cheese sauce for low carb diets!
Most nights we eat simply; a bowl of soup or some grilled chicken and a salad does us just fine. But once a week I try to prepare something that has a great sauce – because deep-down we’re sauce people. One of our favorites is this Creamy Keto Alfredo Sauce and this is why:
- Easy to make – cooks in a pot or pan on the stove.
- Wholesome ingredients – nothing weird here!
- Low in carbs – no starches or sketchy thickeners.
- Tastes great – sauted garlic, Parmesan cheese and a touch of nutmeg to round-out the flavors.
- Rich and creamy – thickened naturally with a little cream cheese and an egg yolk.
- Easy to customize – make thinner or thicker, add more garlic or add your own flavors.
- Freezes well in recipes.
- Bakes without separating.
There are no weird ingredients in this homemade Alfredo recipe. You’ll notice that all are wholesome low carb keto foods (link to list) and completely gluten-free.
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Egg yolk*
- White pepper
- Salt to taste
*NOTE: Omit the egg yolk for an egg-free Alfredo sauce, but know that the sauce may “break” (or separate) if baked in a casserole or upon thawing after being frozen.
How to Make It?
This easy recipe for creamy keto Alfredo sauce starts with minced garlic, butter and softened cream cheese. It sounds great already, right? I know. The cream cheese helps thicken the sauce.
Add heavy cream, little by little, alternating with the Parmesan cheese. Make sure to use freshly grated Parmesan cheese from a block for the best flavor and ease in melting. (The powdery grated Parmesan cheese from the deli didn’t melt well for me. And for goodness sakes, don’t use cheese from the green can!)
Add more cream. Whisk a beaten egg yolk right to the pot to thicken and stabilize the sauce so it doesn’t separate. Finish with white pepper and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg.
Simmer very slowly for a few minutes until thickened and it coats the back of a spoon. It thickens further as it cools. (See picture below)
TO REHEAT: To reheat, warm it gently in a pot, stirring every few moments so it doesn’t burn, until warmed through.
Makes 1 ½ cups and serves 4 at about ⅓ cup each.
How Do I Use It?
Besides the obvious of pouring Alfredo sauce over low carb pasta or meats… It’s the easiest thing in the world to whip-up a keto casserole with this ketot Alfredo sauce as a base. Mix a little leftover chicken, steamed broccoli and cauliflower rice with some mozzarella or provolone cheese and you have a great keto Alfredo casserole.
More Ideas for Using Alfredo Sauce:
- Pour the finished Alfredo sauce over cooked meats or vegetables.
- Mix into low carb pastas.
- Make white lasagna, manicotti and cannelloni.
- Make stuffed spinach Florentine crepes and seafood crepes.
- Casserole base (see above)
Keto Alfredo Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- salt to taste
Additional Flavor Ideas:
- lemon zest, parsley, basil, garlic, shallot, white wine, dry sherry, truffle oil, thyme, tarragon
- Gently melt the butter with the garlic until it begins to soften. Add the cream cheese and whisk to combine until melted.
- Add 1/4 cup of the heavy cream, turn heat up to medium low, and stir until combined and hot. Add 1/4 of the Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Alternate adding the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese in the same fashion until all is incorporated.
- Separate one egg and beat the yolk. When the sauce is hot and bubbling lazily, add the egg yolk while whisking. Turn heat a little lower and continue whisking until the sauce coats the back of a spoon about 1-2 minutes more. Adjust seasonings. Thickens as it cools!