There’s nothing like homemade sloppy Joes from scratch with a delicious sloppy joe sauce. Use lean ground beef, pork or turkey for this easy healthy recipe and see why we love it.
I’m excited to share this recipe with you because it’s a no ketchup recipe that calls for good wholesome ingredients. No flavor packets means it’s gluten-free. And, you don’t need an instant pot for sloppy Joes because they cook in 20 minutes. Serve this sloppy Joes recipe on low carb hamburger buns or gluten free rolls. Aren’t into ground beef? Use ground turkey or ground lean pork if you prefer! You’re going to love this easy recipe.
Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe (low carb, gluten free)
Homemade Sloppy Joes remind me of mom. They were a “go-to” when she wanted something fast and easy or didn’t feel like cooking. I’m not talking manwich sloppy joes from a can, I’m talking about homemade sloppy joes in a beefy, slightly-sweet tomatoey Sloppy Joes sauce.
It’s easy to make sloppy Joes at home: Saute onions, garlic, green bell pepper and lean ground beef in a pot or a pan until the beef is cooked through. Make sure to break the beef up into tiny pieces, start it in a cold pan for the best results. Add the sauce ingredients, stir, and cover. Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes and serve.
Since this is a low carb blog, I played with the recipe until I got a super-tasty and low carb Sloppy Joe recipe. I nixed the ketchup in Mom’s recipe, added a few more ingredients, and the result is tender ground beef in a delicious Sloppy Joe sauce!
This healthier version is much lower in carbohydrates, has no-added-sugar and tastes great. I use my own sugar-free brown sugar substitute or Sukrin Gold when I make homemade Sloppy Joes, but use regular brown sugar if you prefer.
My favorite thing about Sloppy Joes is that they make the BEST messy sandwiches! Mom always served hers on rolls and sometimes added cheese. If you follow a low carb diet like me, you can enjoy your Sloppy Joe sandwiches on low carb hamburger buns. or even these Smart Buns I found on Miracle Noodle.
Other Low Carb Options:
- spoon into bell peppers and bake
- spoon into lettuce cups with diced avocados
- enjoy on a salad with creamy dressing
- serve over spaghetti squash
- serve over mashed cauliflower
- eat in cheese taco shells
- enjoy in low carb wraps
Homemade Sloppy Joes recipe is 3 net carbs per serving for just the meat and sauce.
[This recipe may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through a link I may earn a small consideration.]
Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef, turkey, or pork
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper (2 oz, or 1/2 of a pepper)
- 1/4 cup diced onion (1 oz)
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Sukrin Gold (or my Brown Sugar Sub.)*
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard (or Dijon)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth (or water with 1 tsp of beef base)
- 1/4 tsp each, salt and pepper
- Gather ingredients. Chop green bell pepper and onion. Mince or press garlic.
- Place the ground beef (or turkey or pork) in a medium frying pan and turn the heat to medium. Break meat up into tiny pieces as it cooks. This will take about 7 minutes.
- When the meat is almost cooked through, stir in all of the other ingredients, finishing with the water, last. Bring up to a simmer, turn down to medium low and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve on a bun or see other ideas in the post. Serves 6 at approximately 1/2 cup per serving. 3 net carbs