Simple, fresh and healthy! A Marinated Asparagus Tomato Salad dressed in an easy homemade vinaigrette that takes minutes to prepare. Enjoy as a side or toss with grilled chicken or cheese for a light, healthy main meal.
Summer is almost here and I have been enjoying the beautiful selection of produce in my local market. In a month the heat will begin and my family will look forward to having nice crisp salads to help beat the heat. But, a simple salad of vegetables in a homemade vinaigrette also hits the spot. Fast and easy to put together, this marinated asparagus tomato salad is a favorite of mine.
As I am now of a certain age, reducing the amount of time I stand in front of a hot stove in the summer is key. (Staying cool in the summer keeps me (and my family) happy!) If you’re a woman lucky enough to be where I am in life, then you know what I’m talking about. Was that an over-share? So sorry!
Instead of blanching the asparagus in boiling water I’ve found that steaming it in the microwave for a few minutes does the trick. Pouring a large glass of water and ice into the same container, cools-off the asparagus, keeping it crisp and green. It also cuts down on dirty pots and washing. I’m all for saving time, aren’t you?
I chose to use baby heirloom tomatoes for this tomato salad because I love their color and sweetness. Just think that 10 years ago, beautiful heirloom varieties were not available in the stores. The choices were tasteless hothouse tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes.
The push for better produce that began a few years ago has really blossomed into a great food movement. Our farmer’s markets have burgeoned as well as the number of CSAs. Organic produce is easier to find and the price has become more affordable. The “just eat real food movement” has benefited us all. I, and my salad, are thankful!
If you’d like, you can marinate the asparagus for an hour before adding the tomatoes. And, if you are pressed for time I’ve been known to make marinated asparagus with bottled balsamic dressing in a pinch.
This Marinated Asparagus Tomato salad is 3 net carbs per serving.
Marinated Asparagus Tomato Salad
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut on the bias into 3 pieces each
- 8 ounces baby heirloom tomatoes, halved, or mixed colored cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic and Herb Seasoning Blend or your favorite blend
- 1 pinch erythritol or sugar
- Trim and cut the asparagus and place in a microwaveable dish with 1 tablespoon of water. Cover with cling film and microwave for 2 1/2 minutes, depending on your microwave. Pour a large glass full of ice and water into the bowl and toss the asparagus until cool. OR plunge the asparagus into boiling water until it turns bright green and crisp tender. Remove from the pot and place into a bowl of ice water until cool. This sets the color of the asparagus.
- Halve the tomatoes and place the vegetables into a medium bowl
- Mince the garlic and shallot and place into a small mason jar or into a small bowl. Add the other ingredients and shake the jar or mix with a small whisk. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Toss the vegetables with the dressing and serve.