Ham and green bean soup is a hearty and nourishing meal. By using leftover ham and green beans, this low carb and low calorie soup comes together in a snap! Most suitable for low carb maintenance or THM.
This is one of my favorite soups and I make it every time I cook a ham. It’s the perfect way to use up some of those holiday left overs. In fact, I make sure to cook extra green beans at our holiday dinners to put in this soup. Don’t have left over beans? It’s okay. You don’t need to use left overs.
My mother used to make a ham and green bean soup with flat Italian green beans — I can never find them, so I use regular green beans. This is not her recipe and I am not sure she really had one. My mother was a wonderful intuitive cook and often made things by adding a little of this and that – being guided by taste.
Ham and green bean soup is most easily made when using leftover green beans and ham, but I have made it with fresh ingredients before. It’s just as good, but it comes together super fast when using holiday leftovers. I also enjoy using the juices from the ham to help flavor the soup.
Those of you who are low carb may balk at the potatoes in the recipe. I understand. It is generally something we avoid – especially in weight-loss phase. Those of you who are keto or LCHF often don’t eat root vegetables and will avoid this recipe. As I said previously, I only make this soup once a year. It tastes like “home” and reminds me of mom.
[NOTE:] This is a popular recipe with those who follow the THM (Trim Healthy Mama) program because it is low in calories and fat. I believe it is considered an “E meal”.
This Hearty Ham and Green Bean Soup is 10 Net Carbs Per serving.
*Not suitable for diabetics.
- 1 quart ham broth
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 ounces onion (chopped)
- 1 pound green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound red potatoes (cubed)
- 1 pound ham (cubed)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onion and garlic. Put the bacon drippings or oil in a large soup pot and heat on medium heat. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until they are translucent. While the onions are cooking, chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces. If you aren't using left over green beans, then cut the green beans, too.
- Pour the ham and chicken broths into the pot with the water and bring up to a low boil. Skim any foam that forms at the top of the soup. Add green beans and cook for a few minutes. Then add the potatoes, salt, liquid smoke flavoring and garlic powder. Simmer gently until the potatoes are cooked though. Add the ham and heat through. Adjust the seasonings and serve.
For the BEST ham flavor, use the left over broth in the pan from cooking the ham. I commonly have 3-4 cups of broth after cooking. I freeze it if I'm not going to use it right away.
It is also AWESOME for cooking your green beans. I drain my green beans and freeze the ham pot liquor again.
Signup for my Newsletter
Subscribe to get our recipies by email.