A healthy low carb chicken recipe that’s baked in the oven with Balsamic marinated mushrooms.
Whew! I don’t know about you, but I am always on the lookout for easy dinner recipes.
Most nights it’s chicken for us and my cut of choice is skinless-boneless chicken breast. My husband is a chicken thigh lover, but I prefer the ease and versatility of chicken breasts. I can tell you though, I didn’t have any complaints about this healthy low carb chicken recipe with marinated mushrooms from him!
If you’ve been on the Low Carb Maven blog before, then you know I have several healthy low carb chicken recipes.
What’s great is that they are easy recipes perfect for weeknight meals. Some of my more popular easy chicken recipes are Malibu Chicken, Caprese Hasselback Chicken, Pan Seared Chicken Breast with Sauce and Low Carb Skillet Chicken Parmesan. You can’t go wrong with any of these!
This particular recipe morphed from a cheesy chicken and mushroom recipe involving a frying pan and sauteed mushrooms to an easy baked chicken recipe. It went through many iterations and I finally settled on this healthy low carb chicken recipe with marinated mushrooms. I mixed the mushrooms with the balsamic dressing from a delicious spinach salad recipe and baked everything in one pan.
I have to confess, though. The chicken does not brown in the oven very much and made for unappetizing photos. To correct that, I seared the chicken breasts in a pan and then finished cooking them in the oven with the marinated mushrooms. There isn’t any taste difference, I just did that for aesthetics.
The mushrooms make a little juice in the pan which is good drizzled over the chicken. I served this dish with buttered broccoli rabe and it was great.
This Healthy Low Carb Chicken Recipe with Marinated Mushrooms is 5 net carbs per serving.
[This post and recipe may contain affiliate links.]
Healthy Low Carb Chicken Recipe with Marinated Mushrooms
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 oz each)
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound whole mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 1/2 small purple onion, sliced (2 oz)
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Sukrin :1 (Swerve Granulated, or sugar if not low carb)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pinch each of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Gently pound the chicken with the flat side of a meat mallet to even it out a little. (I place mine in a plastic bag to do this.) Place the chicken breasts in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Pour the tbsp of oil over the chicken and oil both sides of each breast. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Wash the mushrooms and cut them into quarters. Thinly slice the onion. Place the mushrooms and onions in a small bowl. Measure the ingredients for the balsamic dressing in a small jar and shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms and onions and toss to coat.
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pan around the chicken and cook for 20 - 30 minutes more.