This Ham and Cheese Crepes are one of the easiest and tastiest dishes you will ever make. Low carb and gluten-free, they're perfect for breakfast, lunch, or brunch!
Mother's Day is around the corner and instead of having the family go to Starbucks for my typical Mother's Day treat of a Venti, triple shot, sugar-free hazelnut, cappuccino – dry, I'm requesting these low carb and gluten-free Ham and Swiss Crepes.
Who am I kidding, I also want the Starbucks cappuccino!
The reason I'm requesting these crepes, other than that they are amazingly delicious, is because they are so easy to prepare. And to make it even easier for my husband, I'm going to have the “no-fail” crepes already made and waiting in the fridge.
All he has to do is add the shaved Swiss cheese (I prefer Jarlsberg) and the deli ham (black forest). A quick re-heat over medium-heat in the pan is all they need to melt the cheese and warm the ham.
(Is it selfish that I'm doing some of the work ahead so that he will be able to feed me easier on the big day? Maybe a little?)
I toyed with the idea of serving these crepes with an easy Blender Hollandaise that would put them over the top – LUSCIOUS! But, a simple dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of green onion did the trick nicely.
Accompanying these beautiful ham and cheese crepes is warm buttered asparagus with toasted slivered almonds and a simple salad of baby heirloom tomatoes dressed with a Garlic & Herb Vinaigrette.
Stay tuned for more crepe recipes in the next few weeks because I am totally digging them at the moment.
If you're undecided on breakfast for the big day, I have an AWESOME COLLECTION of breakfast recipes. <— Just the link.
The low carb and gluten-free Ham and Cheese Crepes are 4 net carbs per serving.
[This post and recipe may contain affiliate links.]
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened in the microwave
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour, optional but improves texture
- 1 teaspoon erythritol, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum 2-3 pinches
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or ghee
- 8 slices Black Forest ham (3 oz) I used Oscar Meyer DeliFresh
- 6 oz Swiss cheese shaved or grated (I used Jarlsberg), g
- dinner plate for stacking crepes
- a very thin flat spatula about 3 across
- a pastry brush
- Serving platter for the Ham and Swiss Crepes
- Blender: Place the eggs, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and erythritol in the blender. Blend on low until the ingredients are completely combined. With the blender running, sprinkle the coconut flour and the xanthan gum over the batter and continue blending until thick, scraping the sides down at least once. Finish with the blender on medium speed for a few seconds. Let the batter sit for several minutes (about 10).
- Prep the Pan: Put a non-stick pan over medium heat. When a drop of water sizzles and jumps across the surface, it is ready. Turn the heat down just a tiny bit and lightly brush the pan with butter. Lightly brush the spatula, too.
- Tilt and Swirl: Stir the batter. Pour the batter into a 1/4 cup measure and then into the middle of the pan. Resist the urge to scrape the measuring cup out with your finger. Grasp the pan by the handle and begin tilting it in a circular motion to spread the batter into a circle. It won't be perfect and that's okay. I can get the batter to go around the pan 3 times, ever increasing the size of my circle before it stops, resulting in a 6-7 inch crepe.
- Cook, Shimmy and Flip: Let the crepe cook for about 1 1/2 minutes or until the top of the crepe looks dull and the edge browns. You can touch it with your finger to see if it's still wet or just about set. Now, gently work the spatula under the edge of the crepe by shimmying it and lift the edge. With the fingers of your other hand, gently grasp the crepe and lift it a little higher while sliding the spatula under the crepe further. Flip the crepe and let it cook for about 15-20 seconds more.
- Stack: Remove the crepe to the plate and begin the process again making sure to lightly butter the pan and the spatula after each crepe. Stack the crepes one on top of the other. Let cool and refrigerate or use right away.
- Assemble: Pre-heat oven to 175 F degrees. Heat a non-stick pan over medium to medium-low heat. When hot, put one crepe in the center of the pan and add about 1/4 cup of grated cheese. Place the ham on one side of the crepe. When the cheese has begun to melt (about 1 minute), fold the side of the crepe with out the ham over the ham forming a half circle. Then fold in half making a quarter circle. Place the filled crepe on the platter and into the warm oven. Continue until all of the crepes have been filled.
Signup for my Newsletter
Subscribe to get our recipies by email.