These tasty keto crab stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese are low-carb because they contain no bread crumbs. Creamy with a great flavor from horseradish, and green onions, this recipe is doubles as a hot dip or hot spread for crackers. It’s really delish!
THIS POST INCLUDES AFFILIATE LINKS TO SHARE THE THINGS I LOVE.
I have never been to a party where stuffed mushrooms aren’t gobbled up within minutes. They’re a crowd pleaser, for sure. And, any leftovers (haha) make a great snack or light lunch.
These easy crab stuffed mushrooms are made with no bread crumbs, making them suitable for a gluten-free diet. Aside from serving them as an appetizer or bringing them to a party, I love to serve them with a salad.
AN EASY CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOM RECIPE
The earthy flavor and soft and meaty texture of mushrooms make them a perfect vessel for holding delicious low-carb fillings. And, with only 15 calories and 2.3 grams of carbs per cup, they’re a great low carb food choice for my keto diet.
Typically, mushrooms are stuffed with cheese and herbs, like these spinach artichoke stuffed mushrooms. But, I like to be playful with my fillings like this BBQ pork stuffed mushrooms or cheesy portobello mushroom burger. Since I love crab dip and crab cakes so much, stuffing crab into a mushroom cap was a no-brainer.
HOW TO MAKE CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOMS
The preparation of crab stuffed mushrooms is pretty easy. Make sure to gently wash your mushroom caps by running them under cool water and patting them dry. Submerging the white button mushrooms in water for too long will cause them to retain water, and become soggy when cooked.
Remove the stems by twisting and pulling them out of the cap. To clean out the gills in the cap, use a melon baller. It’s a simple and versatile tool that helps create the perfect little hole for your crab cream cheese stuffing.
Assemble the crab filling and adjust seasoning per your tastes. Then, place the mushroom caps on a parchment lined baking tray, and stuff them directly on the tray. Cover the tray in cling wrap until you are ready to bake them, or bake straight away.
Remember to not overstuff the mushroom caps or they crab filling will ooze out. Pour a small amount of water into the baking tray and put them in a 375F preheated oven for 20-25 minutes (reserving some time to broil).
TIP: Any leftover crab mix is great as veggies dip or as a spread on low-carb crackers.
The crab meat filling can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to stuff the mushrooms. Or, stuff the mushrooms, cover and refrigerate until needed. Make sure to add more cooking time if starting with chilled stuffed mushrooms .
HOW TO SERVE CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Serve the mushrooms hot as an appetizer or a light meal. Crab stuffed mushrooms create the perfect surf-and-turf when serves as a side with meat and poultry. They are also great on their own as a snack or with a salad for a light lunch.
Reheat any leftover mushrooms in the microwave by transferring to a microwave safe dish and covering with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Alternately, place a piece of parchment paper over the mushrooms and cover in foil to reheat in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Keto Crab Stuffed Mushrooms With Cream Cheese
- 8 large white button or brown mushrooms (1/2 pound)
- 1 can lump crabmeat, drained (6 ounce can)
- 4 ounces cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese (divided use)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp green onion, minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, minced
- Wash mushrooms under running water and pat dry. Remove stem by twisting and pulling out. Scoop-out/widen the hole by scooping with a melon baller (optional) to make a larger well for the filling. Place the mushrooms on a rimmed baking tray or in a large baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees and place rack to middle position.
- Stir the cream cheese to soften. Blend in the mayonnaise. Add the lemon juice, prepared horseradish, parsley, green onion, fresh lemon juice, and red pepper flakes, blending to incorporate.
- Fold in half of the cheddar cheese, then fold in the crab. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the filling and top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Do not overfill the mushrooms. I had a little filling left over which was great on celery and crackers!
- At this point, the mushrooms can be refrigerated overnight and baked the next day. Cover carefully in cling film. When ready, continue with the directions for baking. Add an extra 5-10 minutes baking time for the mushrooms to cook through.
- Pour enough water in the bottom of the baking tray to cover the bottom surface. Carefully put the try of mushrooms in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven. Finish under the broiler to brown the tops.
- Place any leftover mushrooms in an airtight container or cover with cling film and refrigerate. Reheat in the microwave or cover in foil and warm in a 350 F oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Serves 4 people. Serving size is 2 stuffed mushrooms at 4 net carbs per serving.