Chipotle bacon wrapped chicken bites are an easy-to-make appetizer full of sweet and smokey flavor. This crowd pleaser is low carb, gluten-free, dairy-free and perfect for any ketogenic or Paleo gathering.
If you like the combination of sweet and spicy flavors like I do, then this recipe is for you. The original recipe for these chicken bites comes from Paula Deen, and although good, I wanted to spice them up a bit. I wanted more flavor.
When I served these chicken bacon bites to my family, I felt like a star. They absolutely loved them! I served a blue cheese dressing and buttermilk ranch dressing on the side.
I don't often say things like this, but you need this bacon wrapped chicken bites appetizer in your life!
I just can't say enough good things about these savory little morsels. I mean bacon wrapped around chicken with a sweet “brown sugar” coating. It doesn't get better than this. Wait, yes it does…
This appetizer is super easy to make and just takes a few minutes to prepare. And, it's so darn good!
If you have friends or family who follow a low carb, ketogenic, or Paleo lifestyle, they will love you for serving these little guys. Our Paleo friends can enjoy these bacon chicken bites by subbing coconut sugar for the natural low carb sugar alternative, Sukrin Gold. Everyone else can sub regular brown sugar for the low carb sweetener!
(If you do not have Sukrin Gold, but need a brown sugar replacement, add 1 Tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to 1 cup of erythritol and mix. Count 1 carb per teaspoon,)
RECIPE TALK: I used Oscar Meyer bacon for this recipe because it's thinly cut. I found that any thicker cut bacon just didn't cook all the way through. In any case, putting it under the broiler for a few minutes on each side helped brown the chicken bacon bites. I did not use generic chile powder in this recipe, but rather Pure Ground Chiles which I found in the Mexican Section at the grocery store. It has a pure chile flavor and is free of weird ingredients or hidden sugars. I also used ground Chipotle Chile Pepper which I think was McCormick's brand.
I wanted to make fast work of rolling these Chipotle bacon wrapped chicken bites so I decided on an assembly line procedure. This requires one to have all of the parts ready before beginning; the spice mixture, the sweet & sour sauce, the chicken and bacon cut, and the pan prepared – then I was ready to go.
In truth, I doubled the recipe and used two sheet pans. I actually bought 2 pounds of bacon and 4 large chicken breasts on the bone (family pack) which were on sale at the store. I removed the chicken from the bone and used the tenders in the recipe as well. This quantity made 108 pieces which we snacked on and had for dinner with veggies.
GUESS WHAT??? You do NOT need to stick tooth picks into each and every little chicken bacon bite to get the bacon to stay. It's a time waster!
Just put them seam side down on the pan and they'll be fine. See, I saved you tons of time! You're welcome!
I've brought you several great game-day appetizers this month and am bringing a phenomenal appetizer roundup on Monday. Don't forget to check it out!
Here are the appetizers:
- Feta Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Two-bite Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms
- Crispy Almond Sesame Crackers
- Low Carb Artichoke Hummus
- Low Carb Swedish Meatballs
These Chipotle bacon wrapped chicken bites are 1 net carb per serving (5 pieces)
- 1 pound boneless-skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- garlic salt
- 1 pound bacon, I used Oscar Meyer because it is thin
- 1/2 cup sukrin gold
- 1 tablespoon pure ground chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sugar ketchup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sukrin Fiber Syrup Gold or 1 T honey or 1 tablespoon erythritol
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 375 and place the rack into the middle position.
- Line a large sheet pan with foil. Place a cooling rack (like for cookies) in the pan. Alternately, use a large broiler pan.
- Mix the ingredients for the Chipotle Chile "Brown Sugar" Seasoning in a small bowl.
- Mix the Sweet & Sour Sauce together in a small bowl.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces and season liberally with the garlic salt and pepper.
- Cut the whole pack of bacon into thirds. Working with a third of bacon at a time. Take a stack of bacon and put each piece on a cutting board. Then put a piece of chicken at the bottom of each piece of bacon and roll up the chicken in the bacon. Place seam side down and move on to the next piece. When all pieces on the cutting board have been rolled, put them one-by-one into the chipotle chile "brown sugar" seasoning and roll to cover. Place the coated bacon wrapped chicken on the rack seam side down. Repeat the procedure until the bacon has been used up.
- Dip a pastry brush into the Sweet & Sour sauce and dab a little onto each chipotle chicken bacon bite. If you don't have a pastry brush, then spoon a few drops on each piece. Sprinkle any left over "Brown Sugar" mixture on the chicken bacon bites.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, then place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes, turn the bacon chicken bites over and broil for another 5-8 minutes. Makes 50-60 pieces and serves 10 as an appetizer (5 pieces each).
Serving size is 5 pieces.
Signup for my Newsletter
Subscribe to get our recipies by email.