The best ground beef taco recipe for low carb Taco Bell style tacos, uses an easy homemade taco seasoning and cheese taco shells. At net 5 carbs each, they’re perfectly keto and gluten free, too.
If you’re like me, a crunchy taco hits the spot when Mexican food cravings hit! I was thrilled that my family enjoyed this easy ground beef taco recipe as much as I did.
Since the taco shells were already made, the meal came together in 20 minutes – faster than take out! Low carb Taco Bell? You betcha!
Best Ground Beef Taco Recipe
Many Americans grew up eating tasty ground beef tacos at home for Taco Tuesdays; you know the kind that resemble those from Taco Bell with the crunchy yellow corn taco shells, seasoned ground beef, lettuce and tomatoes. An easy taco recipe made with ground beef and a seasoning packet, it was a staple of my childhood.
Every year more Americans decide to reduce the amount of processed food they buy and consume. A great way to start is by replacing store bought salad dressings with homemade and making your own seasoning blends like the low carb taco seasoning recipe I shared last week.
Making your own seasonings allows for customization and control of ingredients like sugar and salt. It’s also a great way to ensure your food is gluten-free and grain-free if your are into that kinda thing.
I used my own taco seasoning blend for this recipe and am convinced it makes the best ground beef tacos! While I won’t try to claim that this is an authentic Mexican beef taco recipe, they feature seasoned shredded beef, it’s pretty tasty and very popular with my family.
How I Make Low Carb Ground Beef Tacos
Since this is a low carb recipe blog, I use cheddar cheese taco shells instead of processed corn taco shells from the grocery store. The cheese shells are crispy and hold up well to all kinds of fillings. At just 1 carb each (vs 18 carbs in Old El Paso taco shells), I’m sure I’m not the only one doing a happy dance right now.
For those new to the lifestyle, we who follow low carb and keto diets are not afraid of fat. In fact, fat fuels our bodies. But for this recipe, I use lean ground beef. Why? I didn’t want any grease dripping out of my tacos and staining my shirt. Also, there is plenty of fat in the cheese, avocado, and sour cream. These are the perfect keto tacos!
Like most taco recipes with ground beef, one pound of meat is enough for 6 servings. I was fine with eating one taco and was sorry after eating two as they are pretty filling. I suggest serving with a small side salad with a tangy vinaigrette dressing.
Tell me what you like on your tacos in the comments below.
Each ground beef taco is 5 net carbs.
Best Ground Beef Taco Recipe (Low Carb, Keto)
- 6 Cheese Taco Shells (or your favorite)
Ground Beef Taco Meat
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 recipe Low Carb Taco Seasoning (use 2 tbsp or all depending on your taste)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth (or 1/2 cup water with 1/2 tsp beef base)
- salt and pepper to taste
Toppings (Use what you like)
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 medium avocado, sliced (toss with lemon or lime juice)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup purple onion, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Wash and chop lettuce and cilantro. Slice avocado and toss with lemon or lime juice to prevent browning. Mince onion. Have salsa, sour cream and shredded cheese ready.
- Crumble the ground beef into a cold pan and turn the heat to medium. Working continuously, break-up the ground beef with a spatula or a wedge shaped wooden scraper/spoon, until it is very fine in texture.
- Stir the taco seasoning into the ground beef and cook until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the beef broth (or water and beef base) and simmer until almost absorbed. Aim for a moist but not wet mixture. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Divide the seasoned taco meat evenly between the 6 cheese taco shells. Fill the shells with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Makes 6 tacos. Each taco is 5 g net carbs when made with the ingredients shown.
- (The ground beef will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator if made in advance and freezes well. I often make a double batch and freeze half.)