Have a delicious Low Carb Supreme Pizza ready faster than delivery. This tweak on the Fathead Pizza Dough makes it possible. It’s not only low carb but gluten-free and perfect for ketogenic diets. (Egg free options!)
A couple of weeks ago I brought to you a great low carb sausage kale ricotta pizza recipe. It was something my family really enjoyed, but my kids wanted something like they could get from a pizza joint. I thought I would go a little more traditional with the ingredients and make a pizza supreme.
Before I get into the recipe, I want to talk about how easy this low carb pizza dough is to make. I started with the original recipe for Fat Head Pizza dough, increased the proportions of the ingredients and added a little protein powder. I feel that the addition of protein powder gives the dough a more bread-like texture.
NOTE: I prefer to weigh ingredients because you get the same result every time. I realize that weighing ingredients is not easy for everybody so I have included both standard measuring cups and weight.
Because this low carb pizza dough is so easy to make, I typically double the recipe and freeze one of the baked crusts. It freezes beautifully and saves me time on a busy day when I need a fast dinner. There is nothing handier than being able to throw a low carb pizza and salad together in about 15 minutes.
I typically use the least amount of ingredients needed to get a good flavor, you use as much as you want but don’t forget to count the extra carbs. Also keep in mind that because this is a thin pizza, additional toppings will weigh the pizza down. What I mean is – you may not get that stand-straight-out-crust. It’s okay. It still tastes great!
Since this pizza is loaded with cheese in both the crust and topping, I only make it once a week. I serve it with a crispy romaine salad dressed with a great lemony Caesar dressing or a great herbed vinaigrette. If I’m feeling crazy I’ll make a crumbled blue cheese vinaigrette. So good!
[NOTE] A reader has shared that the dough can be frozen and then thawed before using. She let it sit on the counter until room temperature before continuing with the recipe.
This Low Carb Supreme Pizza is 6 net carbs per serving.
[Disclosure: Recipe contains affiliate links.]
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup jarred Marinara Sauce lowest carb you can find
- 2 links Italian sausage crumbled and cooked
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 oz sliced mushrooms (1/4 package)
- 1 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (5 oz)
- Preparation: Preheat oven to 400 F. Brown the sausage, drain and set aside. Cut the vegetables and saute them until softened. I add a little water and cover to steam a bit and then uncover and dry out a bit.
- Low Carb Pizza Crust: Place the 5 ounces of grated mozzarella cheese into a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Cut the cream cheese into about 6-8 pieces and place in the bowl with the mozzarella. Microwave the cheeses for 1½ -2 minutes depending on the strength of your microwave. Stir the cheeses together. Break the egg into the cheese and stir with a fork until combined. It will take a minute to coax the two to blend. Add the almond flour and protein powder and blend completely. Sometimes I use my hand at the end and knead the dough until it is more elastic than sticky - which is when it is a little cooler.
- Method: Hands: Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan and with water moistened or oiled hands, pat the dough evenly into place. I prefer to oil my hands. The dough will cover most of the sheet pan. Dock (poke holes all over) with a fork.
- Rolling Pin: Alternately, roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper. This is my preferred way. Remove the top piece of parchment and transfer the dough and parchment to the baking sheet. Dock (poke holes all over) with a fork.
- Bake: Bake on the bottom rack for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and rub the crust with a piece of garlic. It will melt into the crust and be wonderful! Spread the marinara sauce over the crust and top with half of the cheese. Add the rest of the topping followed with the rest of the cheese. Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes until it's hot and the cheese has melted.
Makes 2 - 10 inch pizzas or 1 large sheet pizza.
EGG FREE OPTIONS: (Thank you Nissa for experimenting on this one!)
1. Nissa says that a flax egg may be used in place of the egg.
2. She also says that no egg is needed as the cheese serves as a sufficient binder.