An easy low carb curried chicken salad recipe that takes advantage of leftover chicken or turkey. It’s crunchy, sweet-savory, flavorful, and satisfying – perfect for those on a low carb keto diet.
I’m one of those crazy people who doesn’t like turkey for Thanksgiving. I know, it’s an embarrassing confession, but it’s true. This year I cooked two beautiful 10 pound chickens to grace our Thanksgiving table and had quite a bit of chicken left over.
We had enough leftover chicken for another dinner and several lunch salads, but with the rest I made this curried chicken salad. It’s something my family is guaranteed to like weather I serve it for lunch or for dinner.
I love chicken salad. It’s something I make frequently because it is so versatile. And, I rarely cook chicken expressly for preparing chicken salad because any kind will do – poached, grilled, baked, rotisserie or fried in the pan. I prefer to use leftover turkey and chicken and of course rotisserie chicken. I always add green apple to my chicken salad recipe because I like the sweetness and the crunch it brings, but I have also added jicama or water chestnuts for change or to lower carbs just a bit. I prefer to add a little curry powder to mine because I love the way it tastes with the onion and apple but feel free to leave it out and experiment with your favorite seasoning blends.
I like to put a serving of this curried chicken salad on a bed of crispy romaine or spoon it into a crunchy bell pepper, but eat it with a creamy avocado and you’ll have a meal that will keep you full for hours and hours.
This recipe takes no time to put together and gets better if it sits in the fridge over-night. I like mine rustic looking so I keep the pieces a little chunkier, but dicing the ingredients smaller makes it easier to stuff into halved bell peppers or avocados.
Psssst…. It’s amazing on a piece of low carb toast or made into a sandwich. If you are looking for low carb breads try the Psyllium-Flax Bread or the Sukrin low carb bread mixes – check out my review of the Oat Sesame Bread and the Sunflower Pumpkin Seed Bread.
January is almost here and this recipe will help some of the holiday strayers (a-hem!) get back on track in a yummy way.
This Low Carb Curried Chicken Salad is 5 net carbs per hearty serving!
NOTE: Substitute jicama for the apple to lower the carbs to 3 net carbs per serving.
- 8 ounces cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- 1-2 tablespoon minced shallot or green onion
- 4 ounces (1 small) Granny Smith apple or jicama, diced
- 2 ounces walnuts, roughly chopped (or sliced almonds, pistachios or pecans), 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- pinch of pepper or more to taste
- chopped green olives
- diced red bell pepper
- pomegranate seeds
- dried cranberries
- Add all of the chicken salad ingredients to a medium bowl and distribute by stirring gently.
- In a smaller bowl, combing all of the Dressing ingredients and whisk together.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken salad and gently fold and stir until all of the ingredients are coated.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning: If it tastes dull, add a little more lemon juice and a hint more salt. If the curry powder is too faint, add a little more. If you want it to taste a little more savory, try adding a little more pepper.
Substitute jicama for the apple for 3 net carbs per serving.