A simple warming coconut flour porridge for quiet mornings. It comes together in minutes providing a fast low carb, gluten-free breakfast option.
It's New Years morning and while much of the world is sleeping-in after last night's festivities, I am awake and contemplative. It's been a while since I've had time to reflect on my life, my family and what I want.
For many years school work was a priority, then marriage and work. Soon, readying a home for a baby took precedence and my quiet days tumbled into one another; an endless cycle of sleep deprivation, feedings, bottles and dishes, diapers, smiles and tiny clothes.
The kids are growing and both attend school during the week. I am alone in the house again – enjoying the solitude and the company of my own thoughts. The blog keeps me busy. There's shopping, cooking, taking photographs and writing posts until the children come home in a flurry of excited tales about who did what at school and what's for snack, followed by homework and then dinner. Life moves so quickly sometimes I forget to breath.
But currently it's quiet in the house and I have this simple bowl of porridge – and time to enjoy it.
Happy New Year Friends…
The recipe for this coconut porridge is simple in both its ingredients and procedure. Coconut and flax combine with an egg to produce a hot cereal that resembles cream of wheat in texture with a mild coconut flavor. I enjoy it with brown sugar substitute (Sukrin Gold), butter and cream. It can be garnished with any topping; an egg, fruit, nuts, honey – just make sure to calculate the carbs. It is full of fiber and moderate in protein. I think it's perfect with a cup of coffee and a piece or two of bacon!
For an Almond Flour Porridge try this one.
Coconut Flour Porridge is 5 net carbs per serving.
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons golden flax meal
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Sukrin Gold or your favorite sweetener
- Measure the first four ingredients into a small pot over medium high heat. When it begins to simmer, turn it down to medium and whisk until it begins to thicken.
- Remove the coconut flour porridge from heat and add the beaten egg, little by little, while whisking continuously. Place back on the heat and continue to whisk until the porridge thickens.
- Remove from the heat and continue to whisk for about 30 seconds before adding the butter, cream and sweetener.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings.
Signup for my Newsletter
Subscribe to get our recipies by email.